Planet Waves NS Dual Action Capo?

• Members

So I kept seeing the thing advertised in the banner ad at the top of the forum, and I figured I'd click it to see what it was all about. Here's the link, in case you don't feel like waiting for the banner ad to cycle through :p:

http://store.daddario.com/category/146490/Dual_Action_Capo

It has me intrigued. And it's only a hair over twenty bucks if you buy direct from D'Addario. I seem to remember most of those fancy-pants Planet Waves capos costing a lot more :idk:.

Anyway, I've got a cheap trigger-type Dunlop capo that gets the job done, but it's not the best intonation wise. Not terrible, but it could be better. And I have a Shubb twelve-string capo that doesn't really work on my S12 (:facepalm:) that's cumbersome to use regardless of what guitar I'm using it on. Call me lazy, but I like capos that only require one hand, and the Shubb doesn't fit that description.

Anyone have one of these Planet Waves capos? It seems like the best of both worlds. Adjustable tension like a Shubb, trigger-type like my Kaiser cut-capo and Dunlop. Is it all just hype, or is it worth twenty-two bucks?

• Members

It's always been Shubb for me. I bought one of the trigger-styled ones - forgot which :facepalm:, but could never get around that bulky mess up the neck. The Shubb's sooo nice and unobtrusive. Makes up for the two-second-more-fiddly effort to place it correctly.

• Members

It's always been Shubb for me. I bought one of the trigger-styled ones - forgot which
:facepalm:
, but could never get around that bulky mess up the neck. The Shubb's sooo nice and unobtrusive. Makes up for the two-second-more-fiddly effort to place it correctly.

+10000 :thu:

• Members

I use the Dual Action and absolutely love it. I use a capo on over 50% of the material I play, and I've used a bunch.

I never liked the Kysers - they seemed to pull my guitar out of tune.

I liked the Shubb, but it didn't work great with the flatter fretboard on my Larrivee

The Planet Waves NS is awesome, but took too long to change between songs.

The Dual Action was kind of a best of all worlds option. It works well, isn't all that heavy, clamps to the headstock when not in use, and is a clamp style for fast and easy changes.

If it broke or if I lost it, I'd immediately head down to the music store for a replacement. I keep my NS in with my guitar gear as a backup.

• Members

I just use the Planet Waves NS.

Is there some reason you need a quick trigger capo?

I like to camp my capo(s) to my headstock when I'm not using them and I like to be able to put them on and take them off with just one hand. Not a great reason, but hey---it's something :).

I have a Shubb and it works fine on my six-strings, but I don't like the fact that it takes two hands to put on and I also don't like the fact that there's no place convenient to put it when I'm not using it. Doesn't clip to the headstock, doesn't clip to the mic stand . . . and the last thing I want to do is rummage around in my pockets for a capo and waste everyone's time.

I was reading some reviews on Amazon last night and someone mentioned that it didn't have enough tension to work on a twelve string :(. They tested it using a Seagull S12, though. Maybe it's just something about S12s? I've had the hardest time finding a capo that works with that guitar.

• Members

Well..... I just went out and bought one tonight. Let me say that I will be returning it tomorrow. There isn't enough tension for ANY of my guitars. I have an ovation 12 string and this capo doesn't even come close to holding down the strings. I then tried it on my martin 6 string and......same problem. I have the tension screw adjusted down as tight as it will go and all I get is a bunch of muffled strings. I tried it on a couple other guitars ( both a 6 and a 12 string ) and still no luck. I really like the design but it is just not strong enough. I guess I will stay with kyser for now. I just wanted to share my experience with this.

• Members

Well..... I just went out and bought one tonight. Let me say that I will be returning it tomorrow. There isn't enough tension for ANY of my guitars. I have an ovation 12 string and this capo doesn't even come close to holding down the strings. I then tried it on my martin 6 string and......same problem. I have the tension screw adjusted down as tight as it will go and all I get is a bunch of muffled strings. I tried it on a couple other guitars ( both a 6 and a 12 string ) and still no luck. I really like the design but it is just not strong enough. I guess I will stay with kyser for now. I just wanted to share my experience with this.

Whoa . . . thanks for the heads-up :thu:!

I was thinking about ordering one today and I never got around to it. That and I was waiting for some more reviews to trickle in. I'm glad I waited! I'd read something similar on one of the Amazon reviews I looked at, but I wrote it off as a fluke. From what you've said, though, it sounds like this might be a pretty serious design flaw.

After reading a pair of reviews saying basically the same thing, I'm gonna steer clear of this and save my pennies for something else :).

• Members

Yeah, I bought this at guitar centers so I will be able to return it. It sounded like a great design ( the combination of the schubb and the kyser ) and I was really hoping it would work. I did not try it on my telecaster but I would suspect it would work for most electrics since they do not require as much tension to keep the strings down.

By the way, what style of capo are you using now ?

• Members

By the way, what style of capo are you using now ?

I have a Kyser cut-capo, but that's more of a specialty item than a true capo. I also have a Dunlop trigger-type (basically a Kyser clone) and a Shubb twelve-string capo that doesn't work on my twelve string (:facepalm:) and is cumbersome (for me, anyway) to use with any of my other guitars.

• Members

So, good example here.

At my gig Saturday night, I realized my Dual Action Capo was not in my guitar case. Must have left it at home :mad:

Pulled out my regular NS capo. It worked just fine, but WHAT A HASSLE to change that thing around during the set! Made for a lot of dead air.

I use a capo A LOT during my sets, and I need something quick.

• Members

QUOTE:Pulled out my regular NS capo. It worked just fine, but WHAT A HASSLE to change that thing around during the set! Made for a lot of dead air.

I usually fill in the dead air by telling them: "If you're wondering what this thing is - it's a device that stops you playing guitar properly!"

• Members

Another clamp, quick change type is the G7th Nashville capo... (never used one though so I can't comment on the spring strength.)

Yeah, I tried that one when I returned the dual action capo. It was even worse. Vey light tension. So far the schubb has the most tension followed by the Kyser. I like the quick change capability of the kyser so that is what I have been using.

• Members

I'm guessing you got a bad one, or maybe your guitars have unbelievably high action? I can see it not working on a 12 string, but it should have plenty of tension for a 6 string.

My Dual Action works just fine on my Larrivee and Seagull.

• Members

I'm guessing you got a bad one, or maybe your guitars have unbelievably high action? I can see it not working on a 12 string, but it should have plenty of tension for a 6 string.

My Dual Action works just fine on my Larrivee and Seagull.

That's what I thought, so when I took it back to guitar centers I tried another one. Same thing. I tried it on a few of their guitars as well and they were all surprised at the lack of tension this capo had. And no, I do not have a very high action on any of my guitars and all of them have light gauge strings. I see that this capo has woked fine for a lot of people, but unfortunately I am not one of them. I tried.

• Members

After misplacing my trusty Kyser, I came very close to buying one of those dual-action ones. Biggest reason I didn't is because the Kyser performs well enough for me on both 6-er and 12-er, and clamps conveniently to my headstock when not in use.

Maybe someday I'll try one when I'm in the mood to buy a piece of gear I don't really need.

Archived