Taylor GS Mini Thoughts

z1221

• Members

I've never thought much of small scale guitars. But I ended up playing one for a half hour in a store. I was getting the evil eye from a store employee, but I really liked the guitar :cop:. But man, Taylor nickle-and-dimes every feature on those things. Anyone else like the GS Mini?

• Members

I've never thought much of small scale guitars. But I ended up playing one for a half hour in a store. I was getting the evil eye from a store employee, but I really liked the guitar
:cop:
. But man, Taylor nickle-and-dimes every feature on those things. Anyone else like the GS Mini?

Hmmm, lemme see? Should I be polite here? Nah - Taylor is overhyping these IMO. I don't know if the 1 or 2 I sampled were any indicator but the first thing I noticed about them was that the back and sides looked like they hadn't even been sanded before the satin finish was applied. Very cheap - but the price tag certainly wasn't.

The tone and playability were certainly not worth the price tag either. I hate to say it but as much as I don't like the MIM Martin X series I think they're a better value.

• Members

The tone and playability were certainly not worth the price tag either. I hate to say it but as much as I don't like the MIM Martin X series I think
they're
a better value.

Ok now, I don't like the MIM Martin X Series either. But I liked the GS Mini more. Then again, I'll shut up. Everything is preference.

• Members

Like it? Sure. I like it. I like Taylor guitars. What's not to like? The price, for one thing. $499.00. It's alright to me, but not worth that much. I'd look at a lot of different guitars at $500, but not that one.

Played a Crafter TRV23 that I liked a *lot* more, and nearly talked myself into buying at under $200.00 during an after Christmas sale.

• Members

Ok now, I don't like the MIM Martin X Series either.
But I liked the GS Mini more.
Then again, I'll shut up.
Everything is preference.

If you liked the GS Mini more, that's what counts.

The GS Mini is a Taylor guitar. That automatically makes it an expensive guitar. Again, it is a Taylor guitar. That automatically makes it a high quality guitar too.

Yes, everything is preference. The GS Mini might not be good for everyone, but what's good for you is what counts.

I've owned Taylors. They were fine guitars. They didn't suit me tho. They are selling the hell out of those GS Mini's. They must suit some people.

• Members

I am prejudiced toward Taylor guitars, but I'm going to put my 2 cents worth in anyway. I played one recently at the local Taylor store. It was nice, tight sounding. Very well intonated and pretty loud. However, I thought of it as thin, with a noticeable lack of bass. Even though it was kind of fun to play, I wouldn't buy one. Can't seem to find a reason for me personally buying it. Hadn't given it a second thought 'til I saw this thread.

• 7 years later...
  • Members

Anyone tried those Guild jumbo juniors or whatever they're called? I've got on of those Crafter TRV guitars,one with flamed maple. They don't scrimp just because it is small. And pickup system Crafter uses are quite good imo, sounds full sized

Just bought one off CL and love it. Acoustic/Electric has the ES-T system and came with an SKB Hard Shell Case and no bag. Great deal' date=' great player. Sold off the previous Taylors I owned now another one back in the fold.[/quote']

I have to say I really like mine as well. It's the standard spruce top / sapele back and sides model (with no electronics). I reviewed one a while back and liked it so much that I bought it. It's not going to match my '94 Taylor 510, but it's a nice sounding, fun guitar. I need to get one of the SKB hardshell cases for mine too.

BTW, HNGD! :cool2::wave:

Anyone tried those Guild jumbo juniors or whatever they're called? I've got on of those Crafter TRV guitars' date='one with flamed maple. They don't scrimp just because it is small. And pickup system Crafter uses are quite good imo, sounds full sized[/quote']

Do you mean the Guild Jumbo Junior?

http://guildguitars.com/g/jumbo-junior-maple/

No, I have not tried one, but I'm interested in doing so. I should see if I can set up a review of one... thanks for the idea! :)

• Members

I really like the Taylor GS mini for what it is. I have that parked in my living room, and pick it up all the time.

They project very well. Mine is a Mahogany top, back, and side, which I chose over the Spruce top, when comparing them side by side. That one has no electronics in it. I also have a Koa one with the Taylor ES2 pick up system in it. I believe they call it the Taylor GS Mini-e Koa.

Small scale, they travel well and are not to expensive.

I really like the Taylor GS mini for what it is. I have that parked in my living room, and pick it up all the time.

They project very well. Mine is a Mahogany top, back, and side, which I chose over the Spruce top, when comparing them side by side. That one has no electronics in it. I also have a Koa one with the Taylor ES2 pick up system in it. I believe they call it the Taylor GS Mini-e Koa.

Small scale, they travel well and are not to expensive.

How do you think the all-hog sounds compared to the spruce topped version? A bit warmer, or... ?

How about the koa compared to the other two?

• Members

How do you think the all-hog sounds compared to the spruce topped version? A bit warmer, or... ?

How about the koa compared to the other two?

Mahogany is a touch darker, with more mids that the spruce top. It's nice for small body guitars. I compared them side by side, and went through a bunch of the one I took home. It was a GC purchase.

Last year I saw the Koa ones out, since my mahogany one didn't have a pick up ( there was the ES Go pick up system at the time and I didn't like the way it sounded). I grabbed this Koa is nice, a touch more crispy upper end than the mahogany, warm and even nice in a few ways.

There is no pick guard on the koa and I may have one added down the road. Koa can be a real weird wood and it's not all pretty (IMO), so I had the online shop that I bought it from open up a bunch of boxes, seen me some pics, of the front and backs, then I choose one. The new Koa models and all newer GS mini Taylor with electronics are running a ES-B preamp with built-in tuner. I have not heard this pick up system.

There doing walnut now.

I actually play the mahogany one most, it sits in my living room and it has becomes a go to player for my daily pickin and strummin.

When the weather warms up a bit, I going do a couple of weekly open mic event here in the area. I'll use the Koa Mini. The winter was long and brutal here in the Berkshires and it looks like we are finally on the up swing to better weather.

I actually have had the mahogany one long enough for it to start developing some fret wear. So it's probably 5 years old and played almost daily. The GS mini came out in 2010, so I might even have had mine longer.

They were doing a rosewood top at one time.

I might grab some pics of both of mine and post them down the road.

[video=youtube;alJaL_o9VYo]

[video=youtube;H3YkmV-mPOM]

[video=youtube;ZY18Cw_CF_I]

Thanks for all the info and for the demos!

The mahogany and spruce topped versions differ pretty much how I expected they would.

I'm not hearing a ton of difference between the standard and rosewood-backed versions - apparently they both use sapele backs, but the rosewood version has an outer veneer of rosewood which obviously looks different, but that inner sapele seems to make them sound pretty much the same...

[video=youtube;x1WWGgwynpY]

And in case anyone else is interested, here's a demo of the standard vs walnut-backed versions - IMO, the walnut sounds pretty cool too:

[video=youtube;bP04pru58LM]

One of the best sounding acoustic guitars I've ever tried was a Taylor K-22 koa, but that was more than I could afford at the time and it "got away."

My GS Mini doesn't have a pickup in it either. I may contact Taylor and see about having something installed into it eventually - maybe the ES-B or maybe the ES 2 - I really like the way that sounds in my 150e 12 string.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I've played a few. They didn't impress me. Maybe if I played one plugged in, I might change my mind. One thing about it that made me think twice about buying one is the scale. I really don't want to get used to a short-scale guitar. Most of the guitars I play are 25.5". I have a surpisingly good little Sigma 000M-15 that I got for €180. It is small, light, and works quite well as a travel guitar (took it to Ireland with me a couple of years ago).

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I'll have to take another look at them but I still don't see the appeal. The early mahogany versions underwhelmed me to the point where I would almost reflexively look at Pac Rim guitars before them. Also, Taylor's current philosophy of changing their entire lineup to their V-shaped bracing makes me wonder about their longevity.

Archived