HELP!!! Who Can Work On My Takamine Preamp?

leftyjay

• Members

I have a takamine fp360s. It has an Accuracoustic preamp.

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=elec_accur

I've had the guitar 10 years. Over the past year, I've noticed the volume slowly dropping. Now I can only get about 20% of the volume it use to have.

I've gone to the Guitar Center near me and they let me pop in another preamp to make sure that the preamp was the problem. Sure enough, a new preamp sounded fine.

Next I asked about getting another preamp to replace the bad one. They named 4 different ones. The cheapest was the Graph-ex preamp ($119.00), then there was the CTB4 preamp ($149.00), then the Accuracoustic preamp ($189.00), and lastly the DSP preamp ($252.00).

I asked if someone could just fix my old one? Nobody at Takamine will fix their preamps. They just say to replace it. There isn't alot of resisters and capacitors on the circuit board. I'd think someone could fix this preamp without forking up nearly $200 for a replacement.

So if you know anybody that is an electronic tech, I'd be interested if they could go over this preamp and see if they can fix it.

• 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...
  • Members

Takamine Accuracoustic EQ mine died. After weeks of research and reading various forums I discovered that when these were made there was a capacitor plague from 1999 to 2007. While inspecting mine I noticed leakage on the board. Test with a meter indicates it's bad. So I ordered a few Capacitors . So I'll let you know once I get the parts. Hopefully a fix. I love this guitar.

If this works I may be open to repairing these in the USA.

• Members
Takamine Accuracoustic EQ mine died. After weeks of research and reading various forums I discovered that when these were made there was a capacitor plague from 1999 to 2007. While inspecting mine I noticed leakage on the board. Test with a meter indicates it's bad. So I ordered a few Capacitors . So I'll let you know once I get the parts. Hopefully a fix. I love this guitar.

If this works I may be open to repairing these in the USA.

In 2000 I had a Chevy that had issues with the computer. We had it fixed, but years later the computer had more issues. The car was old by then and I sold it to a guy that was doing some part time consulting at the place I work.

Anyway he had read about capacitor issue with those car computers, and ordered new caps and installed them. The thing ran like a charm after that.

He told me about leakage issue and that some of them had started to crown.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Yes, I just went through this with my NP17C. Did a ton of research and will be replacing the preamp with a CTP3 tube preamp EQ. I first tried to clean the old AccurAcoustic EQ with control/contact cleaner. This did work for a while until the volume dropped and the EQ didn't work any more. I'm going to take apart the old EQ and see if it can be repaired. Replacement preamp EQ's are easy to find on Reverb.com or Ebay. Cheaper than buying a new guitar. I used a paper clip to get the old preamp off. I'd stay away from used, or repaired AccurAcoustic preamps due to the problems they have. Here's where I'm getting my new preamp: https://reverb.com/shop/addicted-to-tone-inc :cool:

0c63866e9d28041e2417cf2a2d42b668.jpg.37de20bf9ecd8c591d64c14e2d3b664a.jpg

Archived