Best organized beginner learning method/system/program/etc?

Notwithhaste

• Members

I'm a trained drummer. I've played drums for almost 20 years. I've always wanted to learn guitar and have finally bit the bullet. I picked up a seagull s6 and am ready to start. Being a drummer with some serious ADHD, I need structure and a flowing method that keeps the interest up. I've tried to pickup the guitar but I'm so prone to noodling and trying to play things far too advanced. I've got to learn to walk before I can run. I want to play it all. Old blues, fusion, some classical, finger picking, strumming, etc,etc. I just want to learn and UNDERSTAND the guitar and how to talk with the guitar.

Practice and dedication. Yes, I get that. Loud and clear! :)

My question is what is a great method that is organized? DVD? Book? Lesson plan? I've gotta get that organized or else I'm just going to noodle until I give up again. Lol.

Many thanks to you kind folks.

Btw I tried to post this in the lesson section but it wouldn't let me. Forgive the misplacement.

• Members

I'd suggest a song book for the particular type of music you'd like to start out with.  Scales and exercises are quite boring for many people because it's not really music.  We've all heard way too many guitarists that are good at making the guitar sound like a machine and not necessarily a tool for expression. 

With a song book, you have clearly defined goals structured in the way of songs, and you can clearly see what parts are giving you trouble and what you need to work on.  So I would strongly recommend getting a book of chords for reference, and then a book of songs in blues/classical/jazz/rock/pop/celtic/whatever you want.

Archived