handmade guitar by L.W. Fox

dtmz

• Members

I have a guitar by L. W. Fox from Louisville KY made in 1973. Has anyone else got one of these or heard of them?

I have heard of them. I've lived in Louisville since I was born, and I remember hearing about these guitars. A neighbor of mine had one and it was quite a big deal among his musician friends. I've since lost touch with the guy and don't know anything else about them, but as I recall it was a nicely made, quality instrument.

• Members

I'm going to try to post some pictures. This will be my first time trying this so I hope it works. It's brazilian rosewood and german spruce. The grain on the back looks like a face. I lived in Okolona, a suburb of Louisville, in the early 70's and so did L.W. Fox. He still lived there when I visited Louisville once in the 90's but. He and his son were both building guitars at that time.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...
  • Members

I have one made in 1988.  I bought it in 91 in Louisville.  Sitka spruce top, rosewood back and sides, zero fret with snowflake inlays around the sound hole and end graft.  Book matched back has a hooded figure in the grain pattern.  I've always referred to it as my grim reaper guitar.  Plays and sounds great.

• Members
38 minutes ago, Gibson29 said:

Oh, yeah...er...welcome to...

Nah, you’ll be back or you won’t.  Friendly welcomes, if you’ve bothered reading, do absolutely nothing, but you did post twice!  So, c’mon man, these guys are desperate for conversation!

jmcclure had three posts when I replied but it really doesn't matter. Manners cost me nothing.

• Members
1 minute ago, DeepEnd said:

jmcclure had three posts when I replied but it really doesn't matter. Manners cost me nothing.

I know!  3!  He might have a fourth.  And possibly your welcome will have done that, and it cost you nothing.

C’mon @jmcclure !  No, seriously, aside from the begging, it’s a cool place.  And by the looks of things, you’ll get in on the ground floor! 🙂

Ok, I’m done, you guys enjoy your silence and one-upsmanship.

• Members

Had to catch a little sleep.  Didn't fall off the map yet.  Was hoping to stir up some additional information on the guitar builder of this one L W Fox.  Seems to be pretty obscure guy but the example I have is a good player.  Also have a few others that I fool around with.  An Ibanez (hats off to Deepend) and one that I built myself.  Electrics include LP Supreme, Ibanez silver series strat, Epi ET290N, and a basher that I bought off a guy for little of nothing (which was probably more than it's worth)

Pictured on the couch is the one I built.  Hanging behind it on the wall is the Ibanez.  Both accoustic/electric.IMG_20200923_165120747.thumb.jpg.44da0119eeedf589cab9153b5cb2d540.jpg

Thanks for the welcomes and the use of manners Gib29

• Like 1

• Members
12 minutes ago, jmcclure said:

Thanks for the welcomes and the use of manners Gib29

Oh no, manners not me, me rude, manners other man.

That’s a nice looking guitar you built, those tops are special.  Great inlays too.  About 45 years ago, I had a Guild guitar with some bearclaw, and thought it was a defect..:facepalm:  Stupid kids.