Woe unto St. Louis area buskers

DeepEnd

• Members

I seriously doubt the City Fathers (or "Mothers") really care about who's doing the busking. They're much more interested in getting their greasy paws on the buskers' $100 per year busking fee.

I don't even know what the law says about busking here in Columbus, but I know that every Saturday in the "short North" area of town there are buskers all over the place.....especially around our Central Market area. I doubt any of them had to pay $100 for the privilege of entertaining people.

St. Louis's policy sounds more like a violation of one's freedom of speech to me. Makes me wonder if the fanatic street preachers need a permit. It also makes me wonder if ASCAP is getting a slice of the action.

• Members

Bad busking is obnoxious; someone probably came in with a mind to ban it, and was talked down to a prohibitive fee and annoying process to discourage it. Free speech is one thing, soliciting on the public sidewalk is a different matter, and one the city has an interest in controlling.

I've participated in a similar "controlled busking" situation in my hometown. For a smaller fee (maybe $10 a person) we could busk at anytime downtown, and were in the running for a weekly "Street Performer" series that paid a small stipend plus tips. We more than made up the fee, got a lot of paid rehearsal time, got to see a lot of friends, and started to make a name for ourselves.

• Members

i checked the link and really liked it. thanks for this nice post. courtesy by: admaven and ad-maven serve hundreds of millions of impressions daily in over 200 countries around the world. It allows competitive bidding for advertisers on desired traffic. It is less costly for advertisement. you can try it.

• Members

Old city officials, yes, they rob I 

Told I needed to have a permit

Minutes after they took i

From the bottomless pit.

But my hand was made strong

By the 'and of the ALCU

Won't you help to sing

These songs of freedom

Archived