Strumming

Nexxus

• Members

I was taught long ago to always strum over the sound hole... shifting toward the saddle or neck was for flat-picking single notes or for changing the timbre for a special effect (like the bridge) in the song being played...  I have noticed many of the "younger" bands strumming the entire song between the sound hole and the saddle.

Do you alter your strumming position depending on the song you are playing, or do you stick with the old school tradition of strumming over the sound hole, except when playing single notes, or the bridge of a song?

Really can't wait to hear your thoughts on this! :)

• Members

When I'm actually playing, I strum in one place, pretty much over the soundhole, but I do know you can produce variations in tone by shifting where you strum and sometimes I do that when I'm just noodling at home, to experiment with different sounds. On those occasions when I fingerpick (which are rare because I don't do it well), it's very close to the bridge. I suspect (although I have no evidence) the younger guys are influenced by time spent playing electric.

• Members

When I dink around I'll play right up next to the *saddle to get a real tinny thin sound, and I can see that being taken advantage of.. but for the most part I only look at my fretting hand if I'm paying attention at all.

I do find that I can flat pick faster if I point the head up a little and play closer to the neck, but that's mostly relevant with my electric playing.

• Members

As stated previously, it's a timbral thing. And as also stated, it doesn't matter to some. I think in a recording situation, spectral issues take precedence so the engineer might have say. Otherwise, just LISTEN to your guitar. Try different positions. Even if you don't particularly care, the variety will always be there if you need it.

• Members

Interesting question! I mostly tend to strum in the vacinity of the bridge end of the soundhole, judging from some videos my daughter made of some performances, while I apparently tend to play lead breaks about 1/3 of the way between the soundhole and the bridge.

IOWs, just where it sounds best on my guitars. I go by the sound.

• Members

Probably generally over the soundhole most of the time--but all over, not one fixed place. However occasionally I'll go very close to the bridge for that sharp hard sound...and whenever I do palm muting, I have my hand planted right on the saddle. 

There are also times I will play over the fretboard, for a very mellow sound--but I never stay there very long.

• Members

Where I strum depends on the sound I want to produce.  Strings are more resistant to movement nearer the bridge which produces a more trebly and percussive tone; as you move back to the octave (12th) fret the sound become fuller and the bass comes out more ; hitting certain points along the string will enhance harmonic responses; I try to avoid having my hand directly above the sound hole as this blocks projection particularly if using a unidirectional mike.

Where you strum is only one factor that impacts the timbre you produce - there are many others including attack angle, pick material and thickness, force of attack etc. If you haven't done so, then experiment with these factors (as well as string types) to enhance your sound repertoire.

Archived