Fender Passport P150

masterbuilt

• Members

Well, I found a Fender Passport P150 (the older model with three XLR inputs, not two) at a Music Go Round store. I checked out a bunch, and I mean a bunch, of PA systems, individual heads, and speakers at the store. I was there for about two hours. I left with the Passport P150 in great condition (no sign of wear). The PA is loud and clear. It was the loudest of the portable PA systems that they had and I could not pass up the price ($229).

A very close friend told me that they are junk systems, but I know several performers in the ukulele and singer-songwriter guitar player categories (so to speak) who use the Passport and are thoroughly happy with them.

I didn't need a bunch of effects that I'd never use. Just a little reverb is all I need. I wanted clarity and reasonable volume. This thing out-pumped a could of 300 watt systems I tested. What it confirms to me is what Terry was saying about efficiency versus raw power. A package built to work efficiently will get you farther. So, if I upgrade, it will be for a Yamaha StagePas 500 or similar. Until then, this will do nicely.

• Members

I ordered speaker stands from Musician's Friend and they will be arriving Friday "by end of day" according to the tracking info. I bought the "Musician's Gear" branded ones that are two for $50 from MF. They are supposed to be able to handle 115 pounds of speaker. I'll let everyone know if they are decent stands for that price.

Archived