Anyone traveling around or have a Taylor GS mini at there house

Mikeo

• Members

We have a Lil Martin here and Last year I saw that Taylor had the GS mini they came out with. I hit some youtube clips and it might be a lil nicer than the Martin.

Do you like it and what did you get if you bought one the spruce or Mahogany topper.

I'm in no hurry, and my local GC didn't have em in stock any way.

Just wondering.

• Members

Mikeo wrote:

We have a Lil Martin here and Last year I saw that Taylor had the GS mini they came out with. I hit some youtube clips and it might be a lil nicer than the Martin.

Do you like it and what did you get if you bought one the spruce or Mahogany topper.

I'm in no hurry, and my local GC didn't have em in stock any way.

Just wondering.

My daughter's BFF has one and when she comes out to stay for a week at a time, she brings it with her, for me to show her stuff.

Really a nice little guitar that has a great sound, an easy-playing neck and it doesn't feel or sound "small". The mag pickup, otoh, is only OK and she's considering having me either put in 3 JJBs or use one JJB w/ the mag.

Excellent buy for the $$$.

• Members

I've been wanting one for months. Definitely an itch I will eventually have to scratch. Love the mahogany top version, but will probably end up going with the spruce top as I have an all-hog dread now and would want to add a little versatility to my herd. Haven't had a chance to play one but have listened to all the videos I can find and I'm impressed by the sweet tone and good volume. I love the idea of a guitar that sounds that nice with a >24" scale. That's gotta be fun to play. Taylor had some nice fall or spring limiteds out until a few months ago when they all got snapped up. Some really beautiful versions, but given that the b/s are all laminate I probably would not have sprung another $100 for looks. And in any case, the lam sapele is very pretty as well.

• Members

I'm going to be doing more traveling this year for business, so I picked one up this past weekend.

I did a lot of testing of the GS against the Baby Taylor, Little Martin, Yamaha JR1 & 2 and other mini/travel guitars. It's not even close to my ears - the GS mini is far better than any other one I tried. (Considering the price differential, it should...). It's got a loud, full sound, and it's still very playable, despite the short (19.1", I think) scale.

I went with the spruce-top model, just sounded a bit more full to me than the hog top, though it wasn't bad either.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I just picked one up today!

I had a Baby Martin spruce top, which was great, but while sounding very Martin-like, just lacked volume when I wanted it. I traded it for an Alvarez AF60s, which was beautiful and fun to play, but it was really just the Goldilocks story all over again - too small, too big....

I took my Alvarez down to the local shop, locked myself into a room with it, a Martin 000x (which I'd read of people jettisoning their GS Minis in favor of) and the GS Mini Mahogany.

The Mini 'hog won for me, hands down, but it was a combination of things. The Martin is very nice, but I have a Martin Dread that the x sounded too close to; the Mini hog was just the perfect balance of comfortable size, beautiful balanced sound (I found the spruce too bright for my taste), responsiveness and good looks! It's probably about as expensive as I'd want to go for a guitar that fills the 'take anywhere' role for me, but I am prepared for it eventually looking 'triggeresque.'

• Members

tricefrench wrote:

I just picked one up today!

I had a Baby Martin spruce top, which was great, but while sounding very Martin-like, just lacked volume when I wanted it. I traded it for an Alvarez AF60s, which was beautiful and fun to play, but it was really just the Goldilocks story all over again - too small, too big....

I took my Alvarez down to the local shop, locked myself into a room with it, a Martin 000x (which I'd read of people jettisoning their GS Minis in favor of) and the GS Mini Mahogany.

The Mini 'hog won for me, hands down, but it was a combination of things. The Martin is very nice, but I have a Martin Dread that the x sounded too close to; the Mini hog was just the perfect balance of comfortable size, beautiful balanced sound (I found the spruce too bright for my taste), responsiveness and good looks! It's probably about as expensive as I'd want to go for a guitar that fills the 'take anywhere' role for me, but I am prepared for it eventually looking 'triggeresque.'

My daughter's BFF had me install a larger pickguard on hers, one that covers the bass side of the soundhole, too...she'd already started hitting wood through finish, but that fixed the problem.

Archived