7 Guitar Stand

WRGKMC

• Members

Picked up one of these last week on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Kuyal-Multi-Guitar-Display-Folding-Acoustic/dp/B0777LDYNB/ref=sr_1_35?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6uX8ssS34wIVkf_jBx1WZw9MEAAYASAAEgLxa_D_BwE&hvadid=178325920455&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9027616&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=e&hvrand=2337090374135504572&hvtargid=aud-676677759524%3Akwd-24104570&hydadcr=29616_10190110&keywords=guitar+stand&qid=1563214666&s=gateway&sr=8-35

The cost was only $21 with free shipping which isn't bad considering most are over $100. I knew I'd be risking a chance of getting one that was a dud as in many cases when buying cheap gear. You can easily have screws or nuts that don't fit right or some other bastardized problem with a cheap stand like this. If I had I have an electric drill I could have used to drill other holes and put different bolts in place but I guess I got lucky. 15 minutes it was assembled properly and I now have 7 of my electrics sitting in it next to my recording console.

I'm thinking about buying a second one now which would free my studio up on some much needed space. I hang about a half dozen and have 7 in the one stand. That leaves 10 other guitars on single and triple stands. If I use another 7 guitar stand it would leave 3 on regular stands. Since I usually have two or three in the main house This would get rid of allot of clutter.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"a21.JPG","data-attachmentid":32552232}[/ATTACH]

Durability wise, the metal tubing could be better. I probably wouldn't recommend one of these for stage work. Its fine for a studio because its not going to get moved around a lot. So long as its in a secure spot where people wont bump into it, its can be a nice space saver. I can leave guitars plugged in to which makes it easy to just grab one and play.

a21.JPG.689b92281f0cf3391a7e9f0c82b870e2.JPG

I have a couple of those types of stands, except mine hold only five guitars per stand. I like them, but eventually the foam starts to go and you'll need to replace them... but that's typical of the foam and rubber used on just about any type of guitar stand.

$21 is a great deal - I don't recall exactly but I probably paid over $50 for each of the ones I have.

• Members

I can see the foam wearing out eventually. I do have a very inexpensive fix for that however.

We buy those Noodle floats for the pool every couple of years. They should handle both bottom rails and its already got a hole in the center.

The diameter will be larger. They are like 3~4" round which means maybe 1.5" from the rail but I don't see that being a big deal.

You can buy them for less than $1 in any color you want. They have black too but another color like red or blue might give it a cool look and easier to deal with in a darkened studio like mine. Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I buy them locally in Walmart or dollar stores for $1 each.

Another option is to buy pipe insulators. Every fall you find those all over the place as soon as a cold snap occurs and people are told to wrap their pipes. Those do have a cut however so you can fit them over a pip that could be a problem unless you use tire wraps.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"00000101.JPG","data-attachmentid":32555166}[/ATTACH]

00000101.thumb.JPG.69542988c2f64e975fcdcc0aa0d0c31d.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Like any man made material,  way you tell if its a problem is by looking it up the Material Safety Data Sheets. 

The foam noodles are made or Polyethylene the same as the guitar stand stuff so your worries about it harming a finish are unfounded.   Polyethylene is one of the most common and safest plastic available used to make everything from Water bottles to shopping bags. I did some research on it and its one of the lest chemically volatile plastics out there.  Other then the density and amount of air in the foam there isn't any difference chemically. 

Guitar stand stuff does use what's called a Closed cell Foam.  They use a soft outside layer over the foam to make it grip finished surfaces better.  Its all 100%  Polyethylene on both so I don't see anything chemically that's going to affect a guitar finish.  BUT, having owned a pool for 25 years I do know what can happen to those foam tubes over time when left in the sunlight.   It takes awhile but UV rays eventually turn the foam into a powder which sheds from the outside. I know the foam becomes rougher to the touch once this begins to happen so it may "Possibly" become more abrasive to lacquer as the foam deteriorates.  

It wouldn't be any different with the original foam however if left in the sun.  My studio has no windows for sunlight so its not even an issue. It is a harder foam however so its probably not going to grip the finish as well as the original softer foam does.     

• Members

I have over 30 guitars and storing them in cases isn't practical.   I wouldn't use one on  a stage or where there is any traffic of people walking by and risk having someone bump into them.  I wouldn't take more then 2 guitars to a gig in the first place.  The stand works fine in a studio however if you have the floor space.  I do use one wall in there to hang guitars as well but you can only have so many hung before running out of wall space.  I suppose the best option might be the kind of extended hangers you see in guitar stores where the guitars are hung sideways from the wall. 

• Moderators

after the 1994 Northridge quake*, I try to NOT keep too many guitars out at a time, although I have a bad habit lately of having at least 4 out on stands around the house at any given time.[big house]. Although I can appreciate the convenience, living in earthquake country adds an element of, shall we say, serendipity, to the decision-making process. We also only keep 3 guitars 'out' locking wall hangers] in the studio control room, more for show than anything else, and not even one in the 'guitar room'...just an empty stand.

* oddly, two days before the quake, I cased all my guitars, which was unusual, as I usually kept at least one acoustic and two electrics out on stands...no explanation, just did it. Now most of the guitars are cased except the four or so I keep out for 'grab and play'

• Members

Wow,  You got lucky there.  I'm a big believer in trusting your instincts when you have a premonition like that.  I have 4 different ways I can drive to work and its the times I fail to listen to that inner voice telling be to take the other way I get stuck in a traffic jam for miles.  

If I had a studio in a earthquake zone I'd do some serious work on designing things so my gear wouldn't be damaged easily.  I'd have most of the gear installed in cabs, boxes or shelving reinforced with solid materials so they could survive a roof collapse. Of course fire which can occur too. Crush and fire proofing to any degree is expensive. I'm sure you thought those options through living in that area.  

The material items can all be replaced. Loss of the music recorded would scare me the most.  I'd definitely be backing my recordings up to the cloud and have a heavy duty safe where I can store my backup drives full of music recorded.  I must have 20 of them now from all the years or recording digital.  I'd need another 20 to store all the analog music I've recorded and needs to be digitized. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've used a couple of those for years. They are not lacquer-safe. If you leave your lacquered guitars unmoved for a month or more, the finish will be affected. I was able to wet sand and buff the marks off my ES-335 but my Les Paul Custom's body binding discolored from the foam.

• Members
3 hours ago, 6down1togo said:

I've used a couple of those for years. They are not lacquer-safe. If you leave your lacquered guitars unmoved for a month or more, the finish will be affected. I was able to wet sand and buff the marks off my ES-335 but my Les Paul Custom's body binding discolored from the foam.

All of my guitars are cheap, poly-finished guitars so I don’t think I have that problem. None of my guitars are nitro-finished.

Archived