Play the guitar at 26000 bpm?

ratson page 3

• Members

I just found a guy who managed to play at 720bpm after I found another that he did at 1500, I returned to find another who did 2000 after 4000 and finally found a guy who achieved a speed of what seems be 26000bpm, 466 notes per second, I just want to ask one thing, at what speed is really touching? Is it true that it hits 26,000 bpm? or maybe less or even more?

• Members

hey he made it on tv, and the guiness record books... hmm where is he now? oh most likely one in a million youtube w....ker...

but it was the eighties early nineties there was also this bagio guy with 4 guitar necks...

the past wasn't always better :)

26000bpm, 466 notes per second

I'd want to see proof, and that video isn't proof.

You'd need to film something that fast with a high speed camera, then go in and analyze it to see exactly how many notes per second the guy is actually playing.

I seriously doubt he's hitting anything even close to 466 notes per second. First of all, the math's wrong - quarter notes at 26,000 BPM = 433.33 notes per second, not 466.

Consider just how fast this actually is - it gives you a note length of around 2.3ms. That's really fast - it's in the same time range as a decently quick attack time setting on a compressor. That's the same amount of time (in terms of latency) you'll get from a typical computer audio interface (running with a small buffer), and the same amount of time it takes the sound from your guitar to travel from your amp to your ears when your ears are around 2-3' away from your amp. As a point of reference, sound travels at about ~1,125 feet per second.

Not only do I doubt whether someone could move fast enough to generate 433 notes per second, I also doubt whether people would be able to perceive all of them as individual notes. Again, a high speed camera could be used to check how many notes he's actually playing, and a video from one would most likely be a requirement in order to successfully claim the world record for notes per second.

And finally, even if it was possible, what would be the point? It's a nice parlor trick I suppose, and people love to claim bragging rights for being "the world's fastest" at just about every endeavor known to humankind, but this one seems pretty senseless to me. It certainly has limited (IMO "no") musical utility, purpose or expressiveness.

And as far as speed records, apparently Guinness is no longer judging "fastest" musicians:

"We are no longer able to monitor fastest musician records as it has become impossible to judge the quality of the renditions, even when slowed down," Sofía Rocher, public relations coordinator for the Guinness World Records North America. "It is not clear if all notes have been played fully and even musical experts can’t judge the musicality of pieces as they are not intended to be played at such a speed. Because of this, these records now contradict two of our key record assessment criteria as they are no longer measurable or verifiable."

https://www.abc10.com/article/news/l...cord/427073205

"It has become impossible to judge the quality of the renditions, even when slowed down."

"It is not clear if all notes have been played fully..."

Outside of the issue as to whether or not he was playing any specific song (and if he was, I didn't recognize it) I'd say those apply very well to the video in the OP.

Also note the date of the article in the link above - it's from 2017, and the 14 year old who was going for the record at that time was trying to beat the then-record of 40 notes per second. A notes-per-second speed record claim that surpasses that by a factor of ten is IMHO absurd on the face of it.

• Members

Aren't beats per minute irrelevant? It's notes per minute that would give a reference for how fast his fingers are moving. Though of course that begs the question of whether he's actually playing "notes" or just making noises.

• Members
Aren't beats per minute irrelevant? It's notes per minute that would give a reference for how fast his fingers are moving. Though of course that begs the question of whether he's actually playing "notes" or just making noises.

Think of some acoustic guy strumming very rapidly. __THAT'S__ what they're calling NPS.

Archived