NGD with video - Fender '68 Reissue Strat + Question on tuning stability

metalshred

• Members

Still getting familiar with the single coil sound as I usually play humbuckers, but this guitar plays like a charm. The cleans sound quite nice and better than my other guitars (at least that's how I feel at this moment). The video was recorded with iPad.

One problem I'm trying to resolve is the guitar goes out of tune whenever I use the tremolo, then after a bend on each string it would come back in tune and play fine until I touch the tremolo again.

I'm considering getting some nut sauce, as I suspect it's a lubricating issue. But if you guys have experience I'm all ears.

• Members
It can take a bit of doing to get the trem to come back true. If all five springs are on the claw, removing the #2 and #4 springs is a good starting point.

You might also find the Hipshot Tremsetter to be worthwhile. https://hipshotproducts.com/products/tremsetter

btw, nice choice on the 'tuxedo' version :thu:

Thank you, initial I wanted to get a red / cream but this colour is very cool!

There are 3 springs at the back at the moment. I don't know much about Hipshot Tremsetter so will do some research. I use the floating tremolo quite a bit so would be great to get it fixed.

• Members

once i watched the carl verheyen way of setting up a strat trem i've never had a problem. set it so when you pull up on the bar the high e goes up a 1/2 step, the b goes up a full step and the g goes up a 1 1/2 steps (three frets). After that yes put some lubricate in the slots of the nut and the saddles.

• Members
once i watched the carl verheyen way of setting up a strat trem i've never had a problem. set it so when you pull up on the bar the high e goes up a 1/2 step' date=' the b goes up a full step and the g goes up a 1 1/2 steps (three frets). After that yes put some lubricate in the slots of the nut and the saddles.[/quote']

I followed a similar set up procedure from Frudua, however still have the problem.

• Members

UPDATE: I applied pencil shaving+ vaseline on the nut, string tree, as well as the saddle, but no noticeable improvement.

Though once I un-secured the high E and B string from the string tree, the tunings can re-set much better than before using a dive bomb.

However, strings still go noticeably out of tune:

- with any use of tremolo that's not a full dive bomb (ie a bridge reset motion)

- when I bend the high E, B, or low E strings in normal playing

I will try to play for a few days without using the string tree for now, but any additional suggestion is highly appreciated.

• Members

Nice playing in the video...

, the tunings can re-set much better than before using a dive bomb.
The standard strat trem really isn't suitable for dive bombing, you really have to have a locking trem (like a Floyd Rose trem) to be able to do dive-bomb bends. Anything more aggressive than a surf-music style vibrato will send a strat out of tune.

I'd guess that a solid majority of strat players never use the trem bar. It WILL make the guitar go out of tune with heavy use. Like single-coil hum, it's one of the strat's limitations. Fender has tried some fixes, like "frictionless" roller nuts" and a variation of the locking nut, but they didn't catch on.

Archived