No announcement yet.

A gig near-fail that turned into a guitar project

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A gig near-fail that turned into a guitar project

Some of you may know, I play in a celtic rock band. We had a gig down in Rockaway beach at an Irish festival. I packed up my stuff in the truck, but I left my guitars in the house because I had some errands in the morning and I didn't want them sitting in the heat.

The rest of the band met at my house, piled their gear in the truck and we got on the road.

2 hours down the Thruway, I realize that the guitars are still on the couch. It's too late to turn around. The swear words were flying.

Our fiddler fired up google and found a Sam Ash in White Plains. We stopped and I bough a cheap Squier telecaster, got to the gig, played and then drove home.

Now I have an extra guitar, that plays nice, looks meh, and sounds terrible.

So I took it apart...

Click image for larger version  Name:	65472206_10219062765748389_7656868185487966208_o.jpg Views:	1 Size:	201.2 KB ID:	32550292
    I bought a Seymour Duncan Little 59 to replace the stock bridge pickup, because the stock pickup was way too tinny and noisy.

It is a used tele with a very significant chip on the body (lower right). So I decided I was going to replace the entire top. With this...

Click image for larger version  Name:	65392519_10219062778628711_4696898818120089600_o.jpg Views:	1 Size:	255.8 KB ID:	32550293

So I sanded off the existing finish off the back and sides...

Click image for larger version  Name:	65448778_10219062786748914_3635434789495898112_o.jpg Views:	1 Size:	251.1 KB ID:	32550294

to be continued...

Then I took it to my dads woodworking shop and used his surface planer to remove 3/8" off the top...

Click image for larger version

Name:	65682766_10219062792509058_5418619697996234752_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	32550301

Then I distressed it and stained it to match the box...

Name:	64819569_10219062798709213_3397833363275382784_o.jpg
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	32550302

Then glued down the new top (not pictured - it was covered with car batteries), and then used a router to trim it to size...

Name:	65847815_10219062809509483_4077528799908986880_o.jpg
Size:	349.5 KB
ID:	32550303

Then I routed the cavities, and began reassembly (including the original box nails)...

Name:	65873130_10219062815669637_8312748642645573632_o.jpg
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	32550304

This last photo was taken before I applied a flat clearcoat sealer, and screwed down the switch plate. I have also swapped out the tuners since with some fender locking tuners with the compensated pole heights (so I could yank the string tree).

Comment

that looks pretty cool. good job!
      imo

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

That looks great. I've been to Rockaway Beach

Missouri.
          Quando omni flunkus, moritati.

Comment

I can't imagine what a pain it must have been to have to sand through all of the original poly finish!

The end results are pretty awesome though - very nicely done!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
            - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
            - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
            - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
              I can't imagine what a pain it must have been to have to sand through all of the original poly finish!

The end results are pretty awesome though - very nicely done!
              I used a big-ass belt sander. And like 3 belts.

Comment

Very cool.
                Best deals on recording
                Gismo Studios: link
                My original music on ReverbNation: link
                Gismo Studios on ReverbNation: link
                Islam is a much greater threat to the free world than Communism ever was. - Easy Listener

Comment

I love it BA!

Comment

That's fantastic!

If you ever get a shot at a cheap rosewood neck, I wonder if it might even be better looking.
                    Last edited by Into Nation; 07-11-2019, 02:20 PM.
                    http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Electric-Guitars/I-smeared-bacon-fat-on-my-strat-now-it-stinks/td-p/16697195

Comment

I'll drink to that!

Comment

Originally posted by BA.Barcolounger View Post

I used a big-ass belt sander. And like 3 belts.
                        I don’t doubt it... that stuff can be tough to remove.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                        - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                        - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Cool story that could have turned out much worse. Happy New Guitar Day.
                          Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                          Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                          Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                          Member of the Schecter Society
                          Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Dude, that’s totally awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
                              Cool story that could have turned out much worse. Happy New Guitar Day.
                              I'm just glad I realized it before we got to the gig. There was nowhere anywhere near the gig to buy a guitar. There was one in Astoria, Queens. 45 minutes away.

Comment

Working...
                              X