Ok... Kinda fell off the "cured of GAS" wagon

badpenguin

• Members

And bumped my head and tailbone. I've been sellinig some off, and been trying my damndest to NOT buy anything, unless it's to flip. But............

About 5 months or so ago, I got my Peerless Retromatic P2, and thought to myself..."Ok, I think I am good now." (Replaced the tuner buttons and the knobs for a more retro look.)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32548769}[/ATTACH]

Then 2 months ago, while visiting my favorite shop, saw this 2014 Epiphone Lee Malia, and after 2 minutes playing it, said. "Ok, DONE, I KNOW I'm good now!" Just fell totally in love with it, the slightly weird neck shape, the P94 neck and the P84 bridge, the action, the copy of the Gibson Artisan, I mean, please, take my money before I ask to pay you more! (Added the pick guard from feebay.)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32548770}[/ATTACH]

Then last week, while in a pawn shop 75 miles away from home, saw this, a 1982 Ibanez SB70 that was badly refinished. Supposedly only 300 or so made. Pieced together by Ibanez from a Studio body and a Blazer neck, 2 Super 70 pickups (that are worth more then what I paid for the guitar by far.) And I thought, "Ok, seriously this time. Done, Over with, NO FREAKEN MORE!!!!)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32548771}[/ATTACH]

4 Hours ago, saw this on my local CL. An Agile 3010SE with 2 p90s, mahogany body and neck, thin maple veneer, abalone inlays and ebony board. ALL for less then a bolt on Epiphone. And.... well..... you know the rest of the story.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32548772}[/ATTACH]

GEDC0763.thumb.JPG.86124f36faaf48ecb62d654f9f33b274.JPG

GEDC0764.thumb.JPG.f199acda7f8c406158f827331bc49927.JPG

GEDC0765.thumb.JPG.69219e1a9fdad34c204d900af5edeff9.JPG

GEDC0767.thumb.JPG.898617ae0f7706a15244a92d96c200f9.JPG

• Members

Peerless looks like something I could go for. "And lead us not unto temptation... nah, lead yourself!" Admit you were trying to fool yourself with being done with GAS... local fave music shop, pawn shop, CL... all by accident? Great finds & we can all justify "they were second hand, so not like I could get just anytime like something new!!!" Now or never and never not an option. Regrets for not doing something last longer than making mistakes ("unforeseen outcomes") IMO

• Members

i can understand you...

its great being a lefty cause the local fave music shop or pawn shop etc are not such a big danger to me and that lack of lefties there is also a reason i visit them not so often :)

but i just ordered a new mountain bike, while my current bike is just bit more than a year old. i justify it with mileage i already did this season and that a full suspension is more comfortable for my age :)

Found this thread on a jazz guitar forum

Please Read the OP

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/guitar-amps-gizmos/60869-guitar-addiction-why.html

From that OP:

3 guitars max would cover any tonal need.

I strongly disagree.

Acoustic 6 string, acoustic 12 string, high-strung acoustic, nylon string acoustic, resonator acoustic.

There's five very different and discrete tones - and I just stuck with acoustic guitars....

• Members

From that OP:

3 guitars max would cover any tonal need.

I strongly disagree.

Acoustic 6 string, acoustic 12 string, high-strung acoustic, nylon string acoustic, resonator acoustic.

There's five very different and discrete tones - and I just stuck with acoustic guitars....

I agree that 3 guitars would not be enough to cover everything. But perhaps it would cover jazz .

I like the idea of a rabbit hole and the comparison to art collecting.. There is certainly a visual aspect to collecting..

Hey BP ever thought about opening a museum or a gallery.?

If all you do is stick with one style or genre, you might be able to get away with only a few guitars - or even just one. I can think of several guitarists who were known for a single particular guitar.... although to be honest, even some of them owned various other instruments too.

• Members
If all you do is stick with one style or genre, you might be able to get away with only a few guitars - or even just one. I can think of several guitarists who were known for a single particular guitar.... although to be honest, even some of them owned various other instruments too.

i believe i read somewhere that jimi hendrix’ favorite fiddle was a les paul.

• Members

the guy on the jazz forum compares apple and oranges

i mean a clarinett player just needs one great instrument, yeah right ok...

a decent clarinet cost $3500 to $4000, a great instrument can be found between $6k to $10k

a great sax is in the same range or even more, how many decent/great guitars and amps you can buy with this money?

and as clarinett/sax player you learn on a school instrument and once you know how to play and what sound you want you go for the search for the right instrument and once you can afford it you buy it after a lot of trying and testing and once you have it you stick with it ause can't afford another instrument for the next 5 to 10 years....

yes i'm exaggerating, and having 150 guitars is more an illness than a passion, but havin ten or 12 is quite normal, at least it is what i tell myself, maybe i will increase this number to 13 if a nice other one comes up :)

As someone who started out on reed instruments, I can tell you that there is more than one type of sax. It is not uncommon for a serious sax player to own an alto and a bari, or a tenor and a soprano sax... or even all four. And there is more than one type of clarinet too...

• Members

I don’t recall ever seeing any pics of Jimi with a Les Paul, but I know he had a Flying V....

he never traveled with it... afraid of it being stolen... from what i recall he employed the strat primarily because of uniformity... familiarity of instrument... a strat is a strat is a strat but each les paul is different... i may have a few pics of jimi with his lp... if i get a chance i will take a look and see if i can find one.

• Members
As someone who started out on reed instruments' date=' I can tell you that there is more than one type of sax. It is not uncommon for a serious sax player to own an alto and a bari, or a tenor and a soprano sax... or even all four. And there is more than one type of clarinet too... [/quote']

At about 10:25 theres a pretty badass saxophone switch.

[video=youtube_share;VyLY8YDWzrQ]

• Moderators

Every year I tell myself I'm done, I have everything I need to do my 'job'...and then I'll be buying strings at GC or SA and see a used amp, and think, 'yeah, I could use that', or I really think that would sound different from the rest of my collection, or I will be perusing Reverb.com for parts [i do repairs/upgrades for other people]...the latest was a Quilter Aviator head [and talk about a rabbit hole, then I needed to convert an old combo to a speaker cab, buy a 100w 12" speaker and a speaker cable]. Before that it was a D'Angelico DC Premier 335 style ['I don't have a 335 style', I said to myself,' and I always lusted for a D'A...'], and before that it was a fretless acoustic Applause bass [i started out as a bassist, and have always owned one, now I have an acoustic!]...

Now I am preparing to sell our house and move into a smaller one, and after packing up a number [5] of 'practice/low wattage' amps, my collection of pedals [ranging from the early 70s to current], I've come to the realization that between my active 'gig' amps [5], plus the 'antique amps' [2] and the 5 acoustic, a dozen [or so] electrics, 3 ukeleles, 2 lap steels, 2 basses, an electric violin, a couple of keyboards [down from 5], several harmonicas, an assortment of percussion instruments, a squeeze box, an electronic saxophone, a slide whistle, several kazoos...I'm an addict...:wave:

not quite on BadPenguin's level...but an addict none-the-less...

Archived