GIBSON SUES DEAN GUITARS!

webe123

• Members

I just am having a very hard time believing this.....if this is true....then the question is...WHY GIBSON? Most of the Gibson like models dean guitars make are very old models. There is nothing new here.....If Gibson wanted to sound it's death knell they sure are doing a great job! I guess they forgot how they had their head handed to them in court when they tried to take on PRS! I thought that the new Gibson CEO understood what was at stake and how to steer Gibson away from bankruptcy....apparently not!

https://guitar.com/news/industry-new...E-np1W8q-AkWhk

• Members

Didn't you see the video they put out last week? Pretty much warned those "other guitar companies" that they'd be coming after them! Looks like they weren't bluffing.

Hey, is HC still owned/run by Gibson? (Based on the banner ads I'm seeing at this moment, I'm going to say yes....)

Hey, is HC still owned/run by Gibson? (Based on the banner ads I'm seeing at this moment, I'm going to say yes....)

Yes, HC is owned by Gibson, but functions as an editorially-neutral music industry publisher. We sell ads to many companies, and not just to Gibson (although Gibson is probably our biggest advertiser), and all of our editorial is handled by the same people who have always handled it - and again, my orders are to keep things editorially neutral - so you're free to voice your honest POV - good or bad - about Gibson here on the forums without fear of objection from the HC admins, and we're expected to give our honest POV in all of our reviews and editorials, regardless of who manufactures the product under review - although we always point out that "HC is also a Gibson Brand" whenever we are reviewing a product from any other Gibson-owned company, such as KRK, Epiphone, etc.

• Members

Gibby will lose this one also. Just like when Fender tried to trademark it's iconic shape in the 2000's. The judge tossed it out of court saying something akin to" You've had 50 years to do this, and now you try?" The headstocks are not similar, the V shape has been copied since the 70's, same with the Explorer, 335 et al, SG, whatever, and I think it's a statement to the world, "We are Gibson, no one better F*CK with us!" Which makes them look like they are throwing a tantum. At least the lawyers will make money and buy Gibson guitars.

• Members
Gibby will lose this one also. Just like when Fender tried to trademark it's iconic shape in the 2000's. The judge tossed it out of court saying something akin to" You've had 50 years to do this' date=' and now you try?" [b']The headstocks are not similar, the V shape has been copied since the 70's, same with the Explorer, 335 et al, SG, [/b]whatever, and I think it's a statement to the world, "We are Gibson, no one better F*CK with us!" Which makes them look like they are throwing a tantum. At least the lawyers will make money and buy Gibson guitars.

Exactly.

What Gibson needs to do is focus on making a great instrument. Coming out of bankruptcy I assume takes some time. Slow and steady. Fair prices.

Lawyers want guitars too.

• Members
Gibby will lose this one also. Just like when Fender tried to trademark it's iconic shape in the 2000's. The judge tossed it out of court saying something akin to" You've had 50 years to do this' date=' and now you try?" The headstocks are not similar, the V shape has been copied since the 70's, same with the Explorer, 335 et al, SG, whatever, and I think it's a statement to the world, "We are Gibson, no one better F*CK with us!" Which makes them look like they are throwing a tantum. At least the lawyers will make money and buy Gibson guitars.[/quote']

Notice where they filed the lawsuit. The filed in East Texas. It's known as patent heaven for patent holders. Most plaintiffs about 90%, win their cases there.

• Members

If they win, it could be YUUUUGGGE for them. Patent trolling is a thing now, and sometimes companies are ordered to pay hundreds of millions of dollars for 'stealing' intellectual property. Because no one would have thought up screen scrolling on their own...(to use one example).

Welcome to the second coming of the LOLSUIT ERA.

• Members
If they win, it could be YUUUUGGGE for them. Patent trolling is a thing now, and sometimes companies are ordered to pay hundreds of millions of dollars for 'stealing' intellectual property. Because no one would have thought up screen scrolling on their own...(to use one example).

Welcome to the second coming of the LOLSUIT ERA.

If you want to know more about how our patent system works (or doesn't work ) watch a trailer from this film

[video=youtube_share;wPL-RZeRN0Q]

• Members

I would have thought the target would have been imports from China.

East is east and west is west but once that container docks in the US its definitely west and fakes can be addressed.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"FAKE.jpg","data-attachmentid":32540731}[/ATTACH]

FAKE.jpg.fd0c3796dc3799a235d4eca1af18cf8a.jpg

• Members
I would have thought the target would have been imports from China.

East is east and west is west but once that container docks in the US its definitely west and fakes can be addressed.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"FAKE.jpg","data-attachmentid":32540731}[/ATTACH]

Yeah I thought at least if they are gonna go after someone....it would be the fakes from China! Those are the ones I would not mind seeing less of. They copy Gibson on the headstock and everything! At least Dean does not do that! The Chinese knockoffs are more of a threat to Gibson than Dean ever would be.

• Members

The EU's laws are different than ours. In this country you can sue for anything. The EU case is also different in that Gibson is asking for a jury trial here and not a judge's decision. I think the lawsuit is stupid to be honest. Why are you trying to sue a company after 40+ years.

• Members

The EU's laws are different than ours. In this country you can sue for anything. The EU case is also different in that Gibson is asking for a jury trial here and not a judge's decision. I think the lawsuit is stupid to be honest. Why are you trying to sue a company after 40+ years.

The laws may be different between the two countries, but the principal is the same. Gibson is suing a company they have let make guitars for over 30 years. I do not see them winning any cases anytime soon. I would be shocked if they did.

• Members

The laws may be different between the two countries, but the principal is the same. Gibson is suing a company they have let make guitars for over 30 years. I do not see them winning any cases anytime soon. I would be shocked if they did.

All you have to do is get 12 stupid people on a jury and anything can happen.

• Members

Dean has made their versions of the V and Explorer since 1977 .... What took Gibson too long ?

Back in 1983, I cut fire lines for the U.S. Forestry Service and decided, ' I'm going to get myself a Flying V", the salesman was trying to influence me to get a Dean, but my mind was set, it had to be a Gibson !!!!. I got a 1971 Gibson Medallion Series V.

Gibson should solve the snapping headstock issue and bring back the valute on the back of the headstock for the sake of stability.

And do inovations to the Les Paul , like rounding off the back of the heel where it joins the body to get easier access to the higher frets.

Have Floyd Rose equipped guitars too or locking tuners or roller bridges .

I saw the video and was kind of shocked.When I saw the new CEO speaking of relaunching Gibson to a new era, I was elated.

But the guy who did the bully video made me like a 500 pound woman sat on me after a huge meal .... Very unsettling !!!!

I hope they can come to their senses, get back to innovating and get along better with the Guitar Building Community.

I really think the guitar playing community kinda got sap poured on its head by that "Bullying Video".

Gibson should solve the snapping headstock issue and bring back the valute on the back of the headstock for the sake of stability.

I'll take a guess on this one - volutes are not universally loved. Some folks dislike them because they weren't original spec on the classic-era Gibsons, and others think they don't really help much anyway. And this isn't an issue with just Gibsons - any guitar with an angled headstock has the same basic combination of advantages (increased downpressure at the nut / more sustain) and disadvantages.

And do inovations to the Les Paul , like rounding off the back of the heel where it joins the body to get easier access to the higher frets.

Have Floyd Rose equipped guitars too or locking tuners or roller bridges .

Gibson has offered both of those features on various models - including some that are currently available. The rounded neck heel is available on any guitar with a "soloist" neck - they have the "fast access" heel joint.

Here's a link to a guitar that has both the fast access heel and a Floyd.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPXS7DCRCF1--gibson-custom-les-paul-axcess-standard-figured-top-floyd-rose-dc-rust

The thing is, while some players like innovation and improvements, many want things left as they were on the 50's / 60's era instruments... Gibson will never make everyone happy with one single model - which is why they offer choices / options.

Archived