help for choosing first guitar

ohtar-aran

• Members

hi folks, i'm a new member. i just looking entry lvl guitar with a little harsh tones. i' ll buy with line 6 spider v or pavey amp. my budget is $175. should i buy Ibanez Grx55B or yamaha pac012 or another suggestion?

• Members

Hi and welcome.

Not sure what you mean by little harsh tones from the guitar as most of the shaping is done by pedals/ amp. Personally I think you won't go too far wrong with a pac12 though, (to contradict myself a bit) the HSS configuration won't have quite the bite of a single coil bridge pup.

Best thing I think is to do this in reverse and tell us what style you want to play and guitarists you want to sound like. And also whether you are thinking forward a little to a band situation or more interested in solo for your own entertainment.

C.

• Members

thank you for your response. sorry for misunderstanding, i don' t know much about this jargon. actually if its possible i want to achive sounds like garry moore, zakk wilde and kirk hammet but in addition to that, i want to study classical music accords. do you think it is possible to achive both with a guitar at this price range (or how effective I'll get these sounds)

• Members

Okay, others here can advise better on Moore, Wylde and Hammet.

But I would buy a separate classical (nylon) for learning classical. The neck width and techniques of classical guitar are quite different from rock. A basic student level classical guitar will not cost much, say 50 bucks.

• Members

If you have a retailer near enough, best thing is to try various guitars and see which feels best and sounds best to you. Most modern guitars, even the very low budget models, are quite usable if properly set up. I personally have a Squire Affinity Telecaster I paid $100 for new that plays and sounds excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived