"New ST3 Black Electric Guitar" for super cheap Frankenstrat project?

poonburglar

• Members

Hey everybody. Please talk me out of buying this for a cheap (~$100) Frankenstrat project that I intend to use primarily as decoration, although it would have to be at least somewhat playable. I intend to use whatever tremolo it comes with, although I may attempt to add a cheap licensed Floyd Rose at some point. I had missed out on another cheapo generic strat that I was eyeing, so I'm considering this as a fallback. Only $58, but the seller doesn't really inspire confidence. Thanks for your thoughts.

• Moderators

That is one of those el cheapo 'starter' strat knockoffs. Typically the electronics are junk, the tuners and bridge are pot metal and barely functional, the neck is atrocious, and the body light like balsa.

'Playable' is subjective.

You say for 'decoration'...meaning what?

Arguably, for the price, what are you out? The price of a nice dinner...without cocktails or wine.

Just keep in mind, you get what you pay for, and you ain't paying much.

Oddly, I was looking for parts to build a 'Telestein' recently...and I still may...possibly using parts from Guitar Fetish's clearance deals, mainly blems...but to piece one together would be a lot more than $58.

There are deals like that all over eBay, AliBaba and Reverb..the honest sellers tell you they are basically junk... the seller you chose will give you 30 days to return it... :wave:

• Members

I just want something that looks like Eddie van Halen's strat. I'm not expecting it to sound good at that price, and I'm not expecting it to stay in tune very well. Maybe not something "playable" exactly, but perhaps "functional" (using the word loosely). I'm not much of a painter or woodworker, so I'd rather wreck a garbage guitar instead of a decent guitar. I might keep my eyes open for something else like a Squier or a Monoprice strat (or grab something from Rondo) but this one has a maple neck, so one less thing to buy.

• Members

Yeah, I'm gonna steer clear. I'm a cheap guitar enthusiast, but this one looks a little too dicey. The listing has changed - instead of a maple fretboard with a strat-ish headstock, it now shows a rosewood fretboard with a generic headstock. They probably have no idea what's in the box. Thanks for your opinions.

Archived