Fatigueless alloy...

1001gear

• Members
No wonder your guitar's a Grouch.

HAHA. That one is an Ibanez AF95, older one with lovely inlays, etc, not like new fangled ones. Hardware was gold plated, plating must have lasted a couple of weeks. Put in some StewMac pickups and is great... oh, and some Gretsch knobs (they corroded pretty soon too).

Okay, response about "..strings that go 'stale' in the packet. That's capitalism." I got box of Ernie Ball slinky in nice metal container. All in supposed enviro pack to keep fresh. I should make video of opening a pack: the unwound strings ALL have rust patches. My guess is some sweat from packers somehow got 'cooked" here in Thailand. Sometimes I can sand off rust and still use, others corrosion so bad string will just snap off when trying to string guitar. Oddly have some Martin etc strings simply in paper envelopes that are just fine after year or more (strings spendy here so bring lots back with me from trip to USA)

• Members
I have D'adarios still sealed must be 20 yrs old.

that`s kind of hard to believe but go open them then ,ha ha.if they were 20 years old and sealed i still think they will have spoiled, i`ve opened old ones before and the thin plain strings tend to have a small corroded patch right through the string which renders them pretty useless.. like chordite says i think the string company`s mission is a one gig set of strings then you have to change them,, come to think of it some people do that anyway ha ha .i still have the same set of D'adarios on my acoustic ,must be knocking on well over a year now and it gets played all the time and they are fine ,i do use 12`s on the acoustic though and may be the reason they don`t lose intonation and i like the mellow tone of oid strings combined with a nice guitar.

• Members

Opened one and it's clean. It's been filed like record albums in a small tool box ever since.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_0134.jpg","data-attachmentid":32525939}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"IMG_0132.jpg","data-attachmentid":32525940}[/ATTACH]

• Members

going of track a bit here ,11`s feel nice for bending on my jaguar ,little bit tough on strats though , i`m actually going through a phase of not bending strings ,i find i`m more fluid when jamming, bends can be a bit of a cul de sac.once your stuck up a bend waggeling away like kossoff , love to here him play though

• Members

make adjustments, make memories, let each instrument speak to you...

I thought this was about a guitar that would stay in tune until the cows come home...

so what is the deal on composite materials for good sounding, throw it in the trunk, guitars?

Playing a bass with biggers strings, within reason, helps me play thin strings easier YMMV

• Members
make adjustments, make memories, let each instrument speak to you...

I thought this was about a guitar that would stay in tune until the cows come home...

so what is the deal on composite materials for good sounding, throw it in the trunk, guitars?

Playing a bass with biggers strings, within reason, helps me play thin strings easier YMMV

Stay in tune and much more. No uneven stretching hence intonation, no timbral change from brand new, no breakage of course, No rusting.

Ample ferrous content, no iron.

• Members
Fender scale. Regular E tuning. A 443 most of the time. Bends are like 1/2 step max. I like the tone mostly.

ooh yer such a brute ha ha ,don`t take that the wrong way... i think if you want to play without all the typical rock and blues bends it would be best to put yourself in a position where it`s virtually impossible to be able to bend the strings in that fashion, 1/2 bends sounds like a George Benson kind of approach ,i like that ,i may look into upping the girth of my electric guitar strings ,sounds like a plan. thanks for that spark.

• Members

i missed that before, why 443 htz and not 440

A lot of the poor pop tunes I like and wear/wore into the ground learning to thread the changes are around 443. At least with my touch and intonation. I think brighter sells better. i'm glad you're interested in trying suspension bridge cables. The keep you honest if nothing else.

• Members

A lot of the poor pop tunes I like and wear/wore into the ground learning to thread the changes are around 443. At least with my touch and intonation. I think brighter sells better. i'm glad you're interested in trying suspension bridge cables. The keep you honest if nothing else.

.i grew up listening to Jimi and his Eb tuning and then other stuff which was back in concert so i was always swapping tuning s around anyway, if it sounds right to me i`m ok with that .443 brighter eh ok will have to check that one ,,,,. so yes, next time i`m in town i`m gonna buy some 14`s what do you use for the 3rd string plain or wound ,i spose wound might be best.

wow a wound 3rd on an electric i`ve never done that before ha ha ,no worries about the nut grooves i can sort that myself and yes the truss will probs want tightening.

• Members

The plains are 14, 18, 22. The wounds are standard 12 set 32, 42, 52. I never liked wound thirds except on Classical guitars. Reason being they'll break before you can get a reasonable bend out of 'em. Strat thirds were originally wound. That's the reason for that dumb magnet stagger.

You may have to adjust the neck somewhat but surprisingly the heavy gauge doesn't bother it one bit.

Archived