I just made my first fusion song

mbengs1

• Members

I see fusion as jazz with high gain. I tried to make a song that sounds like that. It's pretty rock sounding still but that's the best I can do so far. I used my boss power stack st-2 distortion pedal thru my Marshall JTM60 combo. The guitar is an ibanez artcore semi hollow with dimarzio/ibz pickups. any comments on my new track ?

https://soundcloud.com/user-42209033...-seems-to-know

• Members

Yeah. It's my take on fusion as I am now. I've still yet to learn how to play it better. I got into jazz recently and I just applied it to rock music. I listened to Richie kotzen, greg howe, as well as brett garsed… and also frank gambale. I can't seem to get a handle on the style except all I can say is it is jazz with hi tech rock guitar tone. it sounds like 80's shred? straight forward 80's rock guitar playing is my favorite style so that's why the playing sounds that way. What about this mixing? the website that plays the music degrades the sound of the actual track so it sounds better when the original finished/recorded track is played through a media player. I dunno, the bass is lesser and the mids are tweaked. did I do a good job ?? :p

• Members

1001gear, I wanna get one thing straight, fusion seems to utilize more notes than regular rock guitar. do u know any fusion guitarist that makes basic jazz melodies ? or will it start sounding like satriani ?

• Members

The guitar I used is an Ibanez artcore from 2007. I had it refretted with jumbo frets, and I changed the original pickups (which sucked) to Dimarzio ibanez's. It also has elixir nanoweb strings (9-42)… yes, they're elixir nanowebs. the tone cap was also changed to increase the output of the pickups. all together you get the sound you hear on the track. I had a problem adjusting the bridge coz I had to get the right angle to make it shreddable. coz the guitar has a weird shape and feel but I found its just the setup. now I set it up such that I don't feel the upper horn anymore. so it short, it plays like a regular strat or Ibanez RG. it's easier to play fast. It's hard to believe I could get more from the guitar when the upper horn really sticks out.

• Members
1001gear' date=' I wanna get one thing straight, fusion seems to utilize more notes than regular rock guitar. do u know any fusion guitarist that makes basic jazz melodies ? or will it start sounding like satriani ? [/quote']

Give this a try.

[video=youtube;K-OiIVUev1g]

They call these types of tracks fusion. The thing I like about them is you get cool changes right out the box. Give some of these a spin. Keep it simple. Find good notes to build melodies.

• Members

I decided two other songs I did within this week.

https://soundcloud.com/user-42209033...rom-the-desert

I used a Boss FZ-5 Fuzz pedal with the same Marshall JTM60 combo. The guitar I used is a 2002 Fender Mexican strat with a Dimarzio steve's special pickup on the bridge, tesla middle pickup, and a Dimarzio virtual vintage heavy blues 2 on the neck.

https://soundcloud.com/user-42209033...-past-is-clear

On this one I used a Boss DA-2 Adaptive Distortion and MXR M234 analog chorus and a Boss DD-3 for air throughout the whole song. I used an Ibanez RG with Dimarzio tone zones and ibz in the middle.

• Members

Mbengs you have to understand. The guitarists you named know what they're doing. They know how harmony works. The recordings you posted don't sound bad but it's not fusion. Learn the music of those people you named and you'll see they aren't just chugging power chords. What 1001gear posted is really what fusion is. Go back and listen to players like Di Meola. 70's fusion basically. Rock fusion is a combination of Jazz and Rock. You need to work on your Rhythm and your harmony knowledge.

• Members

Ever heard of the 'fusion inversion'? It's a simple way of getting fusion under your belt. for regular rock guitar the identifiable melody is in the verse then in the chorus you can do you rock guitar soloing. in the fusion inversion, it's the other way around. You do your fusion guitar soloing in the verse and then make a regular rock melodic line in the chorus. get it ?

• Members

No, that last song I posted is not fusion. I wanted to record a song that really shows my bugera amp at its best. Just a delay in the loop to get an almost van halen right here, right now tone. The bass end is really similar to the peavey 5150 that Edward invented. I noticed when I turn on the effects loop, I get more bass.

• Members

Here's another fusion song I finished just now. I used my Tele copy with Seymour Duncan Hot for tele pickup. (it also has a jazz model pickup but it wasn't used). For the amp, I used my 'used' Bugera 120 watt 6262 head with a Boss DD-20 delay in the effects loop. What I did different here is put a Boss GE-7 Equalizer before the front of the amp to make the amp sound cleaner (supposedly). coz the last time I tried it, the mids sounded dirty. I think it's coz the amp is cheap, so that's how it goes. https://soundcloud.com/user-422090337-47608446/the-best-is-in-the-name

Archived