What 1 guitar would you get if you had any choice?

redEL34

• Members

A friend of mine has a 1984 Ibanez Destroyer and he won`t sell it to me for nothing. They are going for like 3k(triple humbuckers, etc.) The old Phil Collen one. Watching those Def Leppard videos as a kid, it looked a lot like my uncles Iceman, but cooler. I still want one. It`s the "you have enough guitars, and that is not worth 3k" argument. It is to me.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
A friend of mine has a 1984 Ibanez Destroyer and he won`t sell it to me for nothing. They are going for like 3k(triple humbuckers' date=' etc.) The old Phil Collen one. Watching those Def Leppard videos as a kid, it looked a lot like my uncles Iceman, but cooler. I still want one. It`s the "you have enough guitars, and that is not worth 3k" argument. It is to me.[/quote']

I have a set-neck Iceman IC 100 from '76 I'll sell you. Even have BK Painkillers.

• Members

Wait... is this the "if you could only have one" guitar, or "what would be your next" guitar?

Only one guitar? Probably a Parker Fly.

Next guitar? Interested in the Music Man St. Vincent with 3 mini humbuckers. I remember those EBMM necks feeling fat and frets feeling short, however. But I haven't played one in like 15 years.

• Members
Wait... is this the "if you could only have one" guitar, or "what would be your next" guitar?

Only one guitar? Probably a Parker Fly.

Next guitar? Interested in the Music Man St. Vincent with 3 mini humbuckers. I remember those EBMM necks feeling fat and frets feeling short, however. But I haven't played one in like 15 years.

I`ve used a parker Fly. Nice guitar, but not heavy enough for me. I need the weight, or what`s that The Band song..

• Members

I`ve used a parker Fly. Nice guitar, but not heavy enough for me. I need the weight, or what`s that The Band song..

I move around a lot when performing. Nice to have a light guitar.

I've ripped the strap button screws from Ibanez guitars with the pointy horns. I had to glue in hardwood dowels and use 2" stainless screws.

• Members

For a while, I’ve been gassing for a 22-fret American deluxe Strat, from the period when deluxes came with strap locks and locking tuners <—both are key. I know I want a maple neck and either Olympic white or sunburst.

The real question is: do I want a bridge humbucker or not? A bridge single coil doesn’t have the world’s most useful sound. But it’s key for getting authentic squawky sounds when combined w middle or neck. Some of life’s questions are just too difficult.

• Members

I move around a lot when performing. Nice to have a light guitar.

I've ripped the strap button screws from Ibanez guitars with the pointy horns. I had to glue in hardwood dowels and use 2" stainless screws.

Great for that. When I was on Ozzfest another guitar player insisted I try his instead of my heavy clunky Gibson. Yeah, it felt and played great. I just missed the sound of my guitar.

• Members
For a while, I’ve been gassing for a 22-fret American deluxe Strat, from the period when deluxes came with strap locks and locking tuners <—both are key. I know I want a maple neck and either Olympic white or sunburst.

The real question is: do I want a bridge humbucker or not? A bridge single coil doesn’t have the world’s most useful sound. But it’s key for getting authentic squawky sounds when combined w middle or neck. Some of life’s questions are just too difficult.

Yeah, bridge single coil almost useless. But position 2 is pretty much what a strat is for..or position 4.

• Moderators

Yeah, bridge single coil almost useless. But position 2 is pretty much what a strat is for..or position 4.

Incorrect. The neck pickup is where the Strat magic is. And the bridge as well, if you have the right strat and pickup. I can't stand the quacky 2 and 4 positions, and I'm very much a Strat player. Mine has the original 3-position switch still.

You asked what guitar I'd have if I could have any guitar? I have it already.

1959 body/guts, 1966 neck.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Strat.jpg","data-attachmentid":32513526}[/ATTACH]

• Members

I already have what I need. I have a '65 and '66 Strat with rosewood fretboards and a 2008 MIM with a maple fretboard neck. The latter gets played the most. I also have a G&L F-100. I might get a Tele to replace the one that was stolen but that's about it.

• Members
A friend of mine has a 1984 Ibanez Destroyer and he won`t sell it to me for nothing. They are going for like 3k(triple humbuckers' date=' etc.) The old Phil Collen one. Watching those Def Leppard videos as a kid, it looked a lot like my uncles Iceman, but cooler. I still want one. It`s the "you have enough guitars, and that is not worth 3k" argument. It is to me.[/quote']

If you get right down to it - I’d choose a good nylon-string classical.

That’s the basic guitar. Every other guitar is an embellishment on that original form.

• Members

Great for that. When I was on Ozzfest another guitar player insisted I try his instead of my heavy clunky Gibson. Yeah, it felt and played great. I just missed the sound of my guitar.

Yeah, it's definitely not for everybody. Polarizing looks, too.

I kinda fell in love with the piezo bridge, too.

I wanted to try one of the MIDI equipped ones, but have never gotten around to it.

• Members

With you on that - those two positions are the iconic strat sound that you can't get from other configurations. Honestly, I find that I'm either using bridge-only HB, neck-only HB, or one of those two in single-coil. I rarely ever use a single-coil by itself, nor do I use mixed HBs. JMO, YMMV, etc.

Archived