The new Gibsons...

Phil O'Keefe

I guess I've been out of the loop for too long here.

Last I heard they were declaring bankruptcy.

Now they're announcing a new line of guitars? Huh?

Gibson came out of bankruptcy last October. It was a reorganization type bankruptcy; they were able to get rid of the consumer electronic divisions that, when purchased, resulted in all the debt that was at the root of the financial issues. The guitar companies under the Gibson Brands umbrella have always been fine from a financial standpoint as I understand it.

https://www.npr.org/2018/10/24/66018...rom-bankruptcy

• Members

I tried to watch the interview with the new CEO that someone posted - got thru about ten minutes of it and decided I had more important things to do. Same thing with all the new collections - I'll check back in a year or so.

But I guess the question in my mind is do all these new guitars and "collections" replace the dozens and dozens of previous models or just add more to the confusion?

• Members
I tried to watch the interview with the new CEO that someone posted - got thru about ten minutes of it and decided I had more important things to do. Same thing with all the new collections - I'll check back in a year or so.

But I guess the question in my mind is do all these new guitars and "collections" replace the dozens and dozens of previous models or just add more to the confusion?

When I started playing there were two models of Les Pauls and the Deluxe was available in two colors.

There was one model of Stratocaster with the options of fingerboard wood, hardtail and several different colors.

Now there are Les Pauls and Stratocasters available at every conceivable price point.

• Members

i am settled with my lespaul and freemans es335 i wouldn't mind to try an explorer or flying v or firebird though, or one of their accoustics

but i think their current production guitars are way over priced, i personaly doubt that they are worth what they asking for.

• Members

Everything looks great, and it looks like they are on track.

All they need to do is make the best guitars they have ever made.

Those robot guitars and Firebird X's will hopefully be a distant memory.

The guitar is what it is, and is not an easy instrument to learn, but once you get it down a bit, it has a super high cool factor.

I hope to see some mandolins back in the picture, and I hope they didn't lay off or let go of Dave and the amazing builders at the mandolin custom shop. That would be a major mistake.

I think if they'd reissue some of the 50's and 60's tube amp, I'd grab one.

Archived