Size matters

Freeman Keller

• Members

A friend is totally into old jazz hollow bodied guitars from the '50's and '60's. He brought one this weekend along with his mothers old acoustic

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32512193}[/ATTACH]

The acoustic needs a lot of love and care - normally I would say it isn't worth the time but when he said he wanted to play it again for his mom before she died, how could I say no. It will be the subject of another thread, but here are some of the issues

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32512194}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32512196}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32512197}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32512195}[/ATTACH]

• Members

The other guitar is a 1954 Epiphone Zephyr. He bought the guitar missing most of its hardware and electronics and has been slowly acquiring the correct parts - tuners, the Frequesator tailpiece, pickup and ring. He brought it to me to put the tailpiece on, fit the bridge, make a nut and saddle for it.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32512201}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32512205}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32512203}[/ATTACH]

Pretty straight forward. Here it is with my little (by comparison) jazz box - mine is 17 inch, this is 17-1/2 across the lower bout

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32512204}[/ATTACH]

Just to show the size, her it is with a normal tele

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32512202}[/ATTACH]

As they say, size matters...

• Members
IMO it certainly makes a difference in the acoustical sound, but while they're undeniably cool, gigantic-sized bodies are just too uncomfortable for a lot of people to play.

I look forward to the restoration thread on that old Harmony... :snax:

Phil, in general I don't like large guitars - dreadnaughts and jumbos are just too big for me. Here is a fun picture of my jazz guitar and the parlor - that little guitar is amazingly loud

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32512231}[/ATTACH]

I was in the studio over the weekend, and was given a new guitar by one of the guys in the band. It relates to both the Harmony AND the 12 fret parlor guitar in oblique ways. I'm going to make a NGD thread about it in a while... :)

BTW, that parlor is just gorgeous - did you build that?

• Members
IMO it certainly makes a difference in the acoustical sound, but while they're undeniably cool, gigantic-sized bodies are just too uncomfortable for a lot of people to play.

I look forward to the restoration thread on that old Harmony... :snax:

I'm not a big guy and I really dig hollow body and semi hollow body guitars.

I have a Gretsch TN, ES 335 and a ES 135, a couple of Godin 5th Aves, and the ES 275 that you reviewed a few years back.

I figure if one can love a Martin D28 of Guild F Body, you can get used to an Archtop Jazz box.

What is not comfy for me, is guitars with a big deep body. Still D 28's rock and J45's I love too.

With a pup in a guitar, it's a whole new game.

Too deep of a body and they will be more prone to feedback. You need to keep the volume at a reasonable level too, or you're looking for trouble.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived