Single Humbucker wiring help!

DixonJern

• Members

So I’m a total wiring novice and I’m having a little trouble with this one. I’m trying to wire a single Humbucker/1 volume/1 tone for which there is no shortage of wiring diagrams available. Where it gets tricky is I want to utilize a telecaster 3-way switch so that:

position 1 is normal (Humbucker output going through volume and tone pots to jack)

position 2 is a blower (Humbucker output bypassing volume and tone pot and going straight to jack)

position 3 is a kill switch (sending all the Humbucker output to ground)

My questions are:

Is this even possible?

Has anyone on here done this or something similar?

How would I wire the switch to have this effect?

Thanks in advance for your input!

• Members

Thank you guys for the responses! The only reasons I wanted to use a tele switch were for aesthetics and because it’s the highest quality switch I have. I also have this cheapo LP style switch if that makes a difference in being able to wire it effectively.

6b573501843606ea72276bd60bd2f215.thumb.jpg.eeb87394c980d76848115f798a0c81e2.jpg

• Members
^ That should work. It uses a DPDT switch though' date=' not a standard tele switch. I don't think it can be done with a standard tele switch. [/quote']

A telecaster pickup switch is a DP3T switch, which is what my diagram showed. But since you, a GURU, believe it's in error, I've removed it. But feel free to post your own, correct diagram.

Sweet Jesus, I've been GIVING THIS JUNK AWAY, when I should be charging for it!!

https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar-wiring-resources/custom-drawn-guitar-wiring-diagrams/

$30 bucks for a custom, single pickup wiring diagram, "3 to 5 day turnaround" LOL.

• Members

What I'd recommend you'd do is wire a single HB for Parallel, Series and Split using an On/On/On DPDT switch. This way you'd have some serious tone and gain changes which would be useful. The Series parallel is one of the better wiring tricks you can use because it adds drive gain. The single coil split can vary in effectiveness depending on the type of humbucker used. Some vintage PAF can sound a bit anemic in single coil mode. Otherwise it can add a Fender type tone to your guitar which can be handy.

This diagram would work. You simply wouldn't have the additional pickup and pickup selector switch.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"46b9bd857d06f0025f1b0200dbb4c128.jpg","data-attachmentid":32504070}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Sweet Jesus, I've been GIVING THIS JUNK AWAY, when I should be charging for it!!

https://guitarelectronics.com/guitar...ring-diagrams/

$30 bucks for a custom, single pickup wiring diagram, "3 to 5 day turnaround" LOL.

LOL A while back a guy came to me with a very convoluted switching scheme that he wanted on a JagStang - I asked him for a wiring diagram. He said he didn't have one but could I figure it out. I told him the thirty dollar an hour clock was running, he didn't flinch. (the fun part of that was that his guitar was stolen, he brought me another one and said could I wire it just like the last one. I pulled out my little hand drawn schematic and said "sure")

For the OP, I just took a four way tele switch and confirmed that MrGrumpy's diagram would work just fine (I get another option with the four way switch, you should use a standard tele three way (double pole triple throw)). You cannot do it with a three position LP style switch

edit to add - on the four way switch the common for each side is on opposite ends of the switch - I think 3 way switches are the same but I don't have one here to check. Be careful to look at the configuration of the switch and best to confirm with a continuity tester.

Archived