My jazz guitar buzzes slightly all over the neck, is this normal?

mbengs1

• Members
What does "normal" action mean. How about a measurement.

by normal, I meant setup like a strat or les paul. not too low but not too high as well. just regular. not like shred guitars where you can make it as low as possible.

• Members
What does "normal" action mean. How about a measurement.

by normal, I meant setup like a strat or les paul. not too low but not too high as well. just regular. not like shred guitars where you can make it as low as possible.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32501234}[/ATTACH]

• Members
Is it caused by the strings buzzing against the frets or is it something loose on the guitar that rattles when you play certain notes?

I believe its normal for jazz guitars but I assume that coz it's a good guitar from Ibanez. It seems like its the string against the frets. I think it sounds better that way when it is plugged into the amp. maybe if it didn't buzz it would sound like an acoustic?

• Members

if it gets in the way of a tune you are playing then yes it needs sorting out. but if in the context of playing a song the buzz is not noticable or dosn`t realy bother you then don`t worry about it . barny kessel used have a buzzy or very low action sound but the music still sounded masterful .if you just sit there playing the buzzy note then yes it`s annoying ,you should forget chasing tone because it`s only somebody else`s tone you are chasing for. chase songs. tone will follow.

• Members

The two true jazz players whose guitars I work on like medium action but use slightly heavier strings - typically 11 gauge flatwounds, which I have put on my jazz guitar and really like. Minor problem is that they have a would third which of course requires the intonation to be tweaked accordingly.

One interesting comment from one of these guys is that he wants his intonation set very slightly flat - he says he can sharpen a note when he plays it but he can't flatten it. Must be nice....

• Members
... One interesting comment from one of these guys is that he wants his intonation set very slightly flat - he says he can sharpen a note when he plays it but he can't flatten it. Must be nice....

Equal temperament is a compromise to start with then add the slight pull needed to get the strings to touch the frets along with wear on the frets and perfect intonation becomes elusive.

If one's intonation is going to be off a little in certain places I can understand the desire to be able to "fix" it while playing.

• Members
Buzz is NOT normal on any guitar! Maybe on a sitar it is. Are you sure it's not a sitar? Especially on a jazz guitar that will generally be played as cleanly as possible. And clean means' date=' no distortion, gain, uber drive. [/quote']

I am sure it is not a sitar. It's just a hollow body jazz instrument.

• Members

String/Fret buzz on high frets = too much neck relief. Mid neck action will be higher than first and 12th frets. Fret buzz and high action at high and low frets = too little relief or possible back-bow to the neck.

Capo the strings on the 2nd fret (or use a nylon zip tie of you have no capo), depress the 3rd and or 4th string at the 17th fret and check string to fret clearance at the 10th fret, adjust the rod to get about .005" -.006".

Viewed from the front of the headstock, rotating the truss rod clockwise (tightening) will increase the relief (gap), counter-clockwise rotation (loosening) will decrease the relief. You only need around 1/4 turn to accomplish this adjustment. Overtightening can snap the trussrod and then you have wall art instead of a guitar.

• Members

I have a bunch of hollow bodies and semi-hollow bodies guitars and none of them buzz.

I'd check out that truss rod first. It could be loose inside.

Make sure the action is not too too low. Check the bridge and tailpiece.

I use dAddario Chromes on a few of them and

• Members

My Carvin has worn frets so some notes are on the verge of simply fretting out. I just pick gentler and closer to the bridge on those notes. The big issue is the high E develops creases and needs replacement long before it breaks. What happens is the sustain drops to a couple seconds. Still plays in tune otherwise so it's 50/50 I'll wait till it breaks.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

SOLVED ( for me at least )

My Ibanez Artcore AF-75 had a what could be called a buzz or tinny vibration when played acoustic .

The solution was to replace the steel pickup springs with surgical tubing , I already have the tubing so it cost me nothing but a little time.

As for the electric tone,it's hard to say if the pickup height is exactly the same as before so I'll just say it sounds good

• Members

that rubber tubing to replace springs has been around for years ,it may have being kent armstrong replacement pickups where i first came across it maybe twenty years ago or so , this is one of those cases in my opinion where something cheaper and more practical does work better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

a guitar's setup is as personal as having your clothes tailored.. while "off the rack" works... to "look" top drawer, one has his attire tailored... same for the setup.

The reason..the way we pick.. the initial vibrations amplitude is determined by the way we set the string in motion initially.. some can have a lower action whereas others may require a higher action..

so. get it setup correctly and you'll be fine.. If you will like to DIY. here's how..

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-tech...ele-101-a.html

http://jpbturbo.com/wp-content/uploa...er-spreads.pdf

rk

Archived