It Worked For Me

gardo

• Members

II bought a guitar and decided the pickups were weak.

I like it otherwise so l’ll upggrade them eventually. Meanwhile I got to checking further and became suspicious of the jack. No problem to replace it but I have a can of lube that claims to improve electrical properties so why not give it a shot. Problem solved. Pickups sound as they should jack is solid and life is good. I like a quick fix [ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"center","data-size":"full","data-tempid":"temp_150649_1553621138294_938","title":"D6338CC1-5C2E-490F-8EB3-3CABE49201A0.jpeg"}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Noise I would expect but a stable low signal not so much. But whatever works.

1. However I have found metal polish on a cotton bud very effective on a tarnished socket.

2. My second recommendation to prevent loose sockets is to use the right lead length. A Goldilocks length will stop tugging on the socket. Too short and you tug on it as you swing the guitar , too long and you step on the cable it with the same result. Coiled cables are good but people say bad things about them, wrongly in my opinion.

• Members
Noise I would expect but a stable low sign

al not so much. But whatever works.

1. However I have found metal polish on a cotton bud very effective on a tarnished socket.

2. My second recommendation to prevent loose sockets is to use the right lead length. A Goldilocks length will stop tugging on the socket. Too short and you tug on it as you swing the guitar , too long and toy step on the cable it with the same result. Coiled cables are good but people say bad things about them, wrongly in my opinion.

It was noise free ,probably because of the the humbucker.

The guitar was actually bought new ,perhaps it had a light film of oil or some type of corrosion inhibitor

• Members

I also tend to use cotton buds, but with contact cleaner on jack. Everything corrodes here in Thailand. Contact cleaner seems to loosen the glue that holds bud on... lost a couple tips in guitar.... have to try some of that metal polish.

Not too clear regarding cable lengths, coiled etc. Seems that solved by putting between strap and body and then to socket. Old school way

• Members
Humbuckers stop mains hum they don't stop loose socket noise. So it's a strange phenomenon. ( Not looking for an argument' date=' just saying :) )[/quote']

all I can figure is that it was not actually loose but had some coating or residue that impeaded the flow of electricity

You are right that this will do noting for a loose socket

all in the intrest of science my friend

• Members

This CRC 2-26 is pretty good stuff . It's labled as an electrical grade percision lubricant that restores resustance values and helps stop current leakage,

Out of curiosity I pulled the knobs off of a crappy little Gorilla amp and sprayed the shafts.and worked them back and forth a few times, It's still a crappy little amp but there are no scratchy pots. Cleaned them right up

• Members

Can't stand scratchy pots, hurts my ears like fingers on a chalk board.

I've used Deoxit faderlube to clean pots. Supposedly it cleans the contacts and leaves a conductive lube behind. Sounds like a similar thing to the CRC you used. Works great.

Archived