LP to SG engine swap

Chordite

• Members

I have an Epi Les Paul standard. I Don't like it to play but have hankered after an SG for a while.

Now I can't really sell the LP because there is a hairline crack in the neck. It has been there for 8 years with no extending or tuning issues but you can bet that it will 'go' as soon as I sell it and cause a 'consumer situation'.

SO I am thinking about an SG build project and would like to know if the LP pups and hardware slot into an SG body and neck?

Are the LP and SG the same guitar hardware in a different body or are there other subtle differences like hotness of windings?

• Members

Chordite, I can't answer your questions directly - I have built LP's but never an SG. I do know that there are some dramatic differences - body joint, size of the neck tenon, SG has a wrap around bridge, and of course it is flat on top. Humbuckers seem to be pretty well standardized and I believe that the SG wiring is the same as the LP (different location of the switch).

My humble recommendations would be to get a good set of SG plans (you'll need them anyway) and start measuring and comparing parts that you think you want to use.

And, of course, keep us posted here.

• Members
I have an Epi Les Paul standard. I Don't like it to play but have hankered after an SG for a while.

Now I can't really sell the LP because there is a hairline crack in the neck. It has been there for 8 years with no extending or tuning issues but you can bet that it will 'go' as soon as I sell it and cause a 'consumer situation'.

SO I am thinking about an SG build project and would like to know if the LP pups and hardware slot into an SG body and neck?

Are the LP and SG the same guitar hardware in a different body or are there other subtle differences like hotness of windings?

Gibson had used different Humbucker in the SG over the past 60 years. From P90's to PAF's to hotter Hummbuckers like the 498/490 combo.

I am a big classic 57 guy, but I think something a little hotter came in my SG in 1980. I believe I have a pick in one of my SG's called the Sper Humbucker, which was designed by Bill Lawerence for Gibson. It's a great guitar too. Came in a Chainsaw I case too.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"gibson80p29.jpg","data-attachmentid":32492966}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Les Pauls with solid tops have pots with longer shafts that, like the switch mentioned above, may not fit an SG body.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Alpha_Control_Pots.jpg","data-attachmentid":32492971}[/ATTACH]

you may want to check the pots in your LP

• Members
Les Pauls with solid tops have pots with longer shafts that, like the switch mentioned above, may not fit an SG body.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Alpha_Control_Pots.jpg","data-attachmentid":32492971}[/ATTACH]

you may want to check the pots in your LP

Oooh. Forgot about that. Sometimes there is enough room to use a stop nut to keep the pot from sticking out above the top too far, provided the back end doesn't bump into the control cover.

• Members

Thanks guys this is all very helpful. I have been looking around for a good comparison vid and just found this one in which Darrell does, for the second half a very good side by side one minute solo. I have to say I like the sound of the SG better in that. which surprised me but is certainly encouraging.

[video=youtube_share;Te6M4JJmBNw]

Archived