Pickup choices for my SG pro-ject, bit uneducated

salmankushdi

• Members

Hi i've played guitar for years but never actually took the step to change the pickups on any of my guitars.

Recently bought an epiphone sg pro and really like the feel of the neck so i'm looking for humbuckers to put in it (also prob wouldnt mind keeping coil splitting as an option). I did a load of reading and got intimidated by the sheer amount of pickup variations available and i've only really ended up looking into seymour duncans and considering an SH 5 or a SH 14 custom five in the bridge and an SH2n Jazz for the neck.

I play heavy bluesy psyche rock sorta stuff, pretty driven through an orange amp.

would these pickups be good?/ should i go for something more vintage blues inspired?/ are there any other pickups from dimarzio or gibson or someone im really missing out on by only really looking into seymour duncans?

Cheers, Josh

• Members

Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

For every 5 people you will ask, you will get 10 differing opinions when it comes to pickup options. For what you play, the Duncan choices are quite good and safe. Since you are doing more of a vintage styled gain and distortion, the Jazz is perfect for the neck. I never cared for the Custom, but many do. The Jazz Bridge is a good choice for the bridge, same with the Pearly Gates or the 59 Bridge. The only issue with the 59 for the bridge, is that it's NOT 4 conductor, so the coil tap option is a pain in the butt to get.

Another option is Bill Lawrence XL500 for the bridge. Remember these are MY opinions., so your mileage may vary.

• Members
Welcome to the forum! :welcome:

For every 5 people you will ask, you will get 10 differing opinions when it comes to pickup options. For what you play, the Duncan choices are quite good and safe. Since you are doing more of a vintage styled gain and distortion, the Jazz is perfect for the neck. I never cared for the Custom, but many do. The Jazz Bridge is a good choice for the bridge, same with the Pearly Gates or the 59 Bridge. The only issue with the 59 for the bridge, is that it's NOT 4 conductor, so the coil tap option is a pain in the butt to get.

Another option is Bill Lawrence XL500 for the bridge. Remember these are MY opinions., so your mileage may vary.

Hi thanks for this, yeah true haha i think jus from reading up on the subject the diversity of opinions is making it hard to pick. would a jazz bridge not be a little low on the gain? the stock epi pups in there atm souund a little muddy at times and want to avoid that. i definitely want a vintage styled gain though without a doubt and as a fan of jazz (wes montgomery and stuff itd be nice to have the option of that sound) but my thinking was a higher gain bridge pickup paired with the jazz neck which id use for chilled blues n that kinda stuff, pearly gates was another i looked into for bridge actually

• Members
Welcome to HC! :wave:

FWIW, I love the 57 Classic pickups that came stock in my Gibson SG. I am pretty sure they're also available separately. They'd be well suited to your type of music.

thanks for the reply, i did recently play the les paul of a guy with these pickups in and i was actually blown away by the sound wasn't sure whether to attribute this to the bluesbreaker he was playing through or not but will defo look into some gibson ones as well

• Members
Not sure what you want to pay. Lollar makes some of the best sounding pickups around. A pair of imperials will run you $170 ish. I just sold an Ibby with a custom 5 in the bridge. Mean sounding pup!

Hi thanks i'm from the Uk and not sure these are available but will check them out i haven't heard of them, the duncans i was pricing up at about 140-150 pounds for the two so 170 dollars for a pair isnt too bad

• Members
The Jazz bridge is about 8.4K. That's considered vintage output. The Jazz neck' date=' about 7.9. In the bridge of a Epiphone SG, it would be far from muddy. But if you wanted a bit more..... "oomph" , you could go with a JB in the bridge. [/quote']

thanks for the detailed replies, i guess tonally i want brighter than my stock epi pups and with not too much bass as the orange head and cab i play through has a lot of bass.

do you think the jb duncan would be more suited to the higher gain blues stuff i'm into than a custom 5? was just looking into the sh11 as well but i dunn if thatll be too bright or mismatched with an SG

Archived