Another couple of Jagstang/Kahlers

Freeman Keller

• Members

A couple of years ago I got involved with helping put together a parts caster Jagstang. The guy wanted a Kahler bridge and some special funky wiring. Turns out his apartment was broken into, guitar and other stuff stolen, he is in the process of replacing it all,. Contacted me again about doing the routing and wiring and assembly and setup on two more of them. FWIW he did the staining on the bodies - might not be my choice but then they ain't my guitars.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32486534}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32486535}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32486536}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32486537}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"medium","data-attachmentid":32486538}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Hey Freeman ,this must have been done on Monday morning,you got the pickups crooked

It's ann interesting guitar and he obviosly knows what he wants. What was the re contouring and planing all about.

• Members
Hey Freeman ,this must have been done on Monday morning,you got the pickups crooked

It's ann interesting guitar and he obviosly knows what he wants. What was the re contouring and planing all about.

He definitely knows what he wants, he just wasn't sure how to get it. He is a big Kurt Cobain fan, had very distinct ideas about what he wanted for pickups and what the little slide switches would do. I had to create the wiring diagram for him, there was nothing in the literature even close.

The Kahler bridges are interesting. I did one on his last guitar and am very impressed by the thought that went in to the design. Expensive, yes, but when I compare them to something like a Floyd there simply isn't any comparison. The Warmoth bodies and necks required some shiming to get the geometry correct for the Kahlers, all in a day's work as they say.

As you know, Jaguar and Mustangs are short scale, 24 inch, and to make matters worse, he wants to tune down two semi tones. Again, he didn't have a clue as to what strings to use (or how to set them up)

And the finishes are completely his. I find them interesting but would probably put a dozen coats of clear over them, I'm just not a fan of stained wood with no other finish. Don't know if anyone remembers, here was the first one from a couple of years ago - it was one of those "dipped in oil" finishes

IMG_3806_zpsavhdv5xy.jpg

IMG_3792_zpsjjpaaw6h.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived