Replacing my licensed FR bridge with Gotoh 1996?

JoaoMequinha

• Members

Hi, guys. I did post some questions about FR before in another thread, but since it was talking more about Chinese products, I will ask by making a new post.

my question is: I am thinking of replacing my Licensed FR with Gotoh 1996. Why Gotoh and not OFR? Because the total cost ( price, shipping, taxes and fees to my country) is just too expensive, almost 3 times Gotoh)

But I have compared my old bridge and Gotoh's dimensions. If I am not mistaken, Gotoh has larger studs than mine, and probably the OFR too. So, does that mean I have to make a new drill for those studs?

Can i just use the old studs (I believe it is the same size as OFR) and also the old nut (R2) combining it with the rest of gotoh's?

Thank you.

• Members

The nut is fine, no issues there. Yes, you may need the new studs, which should be included. IF lucky, they will be the same thread size, so should be a simple matter of unscrewing the old, and screwing in the new. The main possible issue is: width of the stud spacing. Should be approximately 74mm from center to center of the knife edge on the base of the trem. So the center to the center of the Gotoh should also be 74mm . If it's the same, that issue should be fixed. What you may have to watch for, is the overall height of the new trem. Some are taller then others. Make sure you see the diagrams and measurements before buying.

• Members

Hi,badpenguin. Thanks for replying and those inputs. I did compare both dimensions. The distance between my old bridge edges is the same with the Gotoh's (around 7.4 cm). And I don't mind with Gotoh's overall height either.

However, what concerns me is whether I have to re-drill my guitar for the larger mounting studs (Gotoh). So, I thought, how about combining Gotoh bridge with my guitar's old pivot studs. Will it work and still function at its best?

I apologize if you have actually answered this on your post.

Thank you

• Members

You shouldn't have to re-drill. IF the new studs fit into the existing holes.

When the original floyds came out, they used screws that went directly into the wood. Modern variation now use the stud and collars. The collars goes into the wood, the studs, screw into them. In "general" they use the same screw size.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"small","data-attachmentid":32484745}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Thanks, badpenguin. I hope you don't mind clarifying my findings :

I compared both of them again this morning,

Unlike Gotoh, The OFR doesn't mention their own mounting and pivot studs dimensions. However, OFR does recommend a mounting route diameter( look at the red circles in my picture~ R5) and it looked like that the diameter is a bit smaller than the Gotoh's mounting stud diameter ( 10 mm vs 11.3 mm), Am I right?

02355adc5a421e13051aec2735e8bd12.jpg.b08b3d7f461b021df236eb894d08b2da.jpg

• Members

Hi, @mrbrown49.

Thanks for replying. But can you point out what you mean by "center distance" on the picture? I can't identify it in the picture. which one is the "center distance"?

oh,my guitar cavity width is about 97 mm, and Gotoh's plate width is 91.5 mm. This is an enough room for setting in the gotoh, right?

I did ask Gotoh,but they don't give a satisfactory answer for this.

Thank you

Archived