Strat Pickgaurd Suggestions

gardo

• Members

This Is a Fender Mexican FSR Strat I've had for a while. I'm thinking about changing the pickgaurd but locating the right one is not so simple.because it has the 3 screw humbucker

Any ideas ?

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"4F55BDF5-A1A3-452D-A487-09823CDEAD90.jpeg","data-attachmentid":32483547}[/ATTACH]​​​​​​​

• Members

with what will you want to change it with?

black on black is classic gilmour and the edge, a white on black would be claptons blacky strat

anything else in mind?

and regarding the holes, there is always the possibility to drill some more :)

Edit:

i had a look at Thomann, they have a fender after market HSS pickguard, exactly like yours in black, but the ones in white moto and tortoise shell do have just one hole for the humbucker...

you could ask the guys at warmoth, a pickguard there is only $28 and ask them if they would do a custom drilling for your bridge humbucker and if theycharge it extra, worst thing which can happen is that they say no...

• Moderators

I also have a Fender Mexican FSR strat with HSS, which also has the 3 screws for the humbucker. I haven't opened it up in a long time, but I believe the humbucker itself has multiple mounting holes that also allow you to attach it to pickguards with 2 screw holes. I recommend opening it up and taking a look at the humbucker to be sure. I think only the Fender branded replacement pickguards will have the 3 screw holes. Most aftermarket brands (eg. All parts, Guitarfetish, etc) will have 2 screw holes for the humbucker, but in general should fit most Fender strats.

• Members
with what will you want to change it with?

black on black is classic gilmour and the edge, a white on black would be claptons blacky strat

anything else in mind?

and regarding the holes, there is always the possibility to drill some more :)

Edit:

i had a look at Thomann, they have a fender after market HSS pickguard, exactly like yours in black, but the ones in white moto and tortoise shell do have just one hole for the humbucker...

you could ask the guys at warmoth, a pickguard there is only $28 and ask them if they would do a custom drilling for your bridge humbucker and if theycharge it extra, worst thing which can happen is that they say no...

One thing I had in mind was gold anodized aluminum

[img2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.pinimg.com\/originals\/37\/cc\/ce\/37ccce72aaa62e34033e8016e9df8566.jpg"}[/img2]

or maybe tortise or even black pearl

I don't want a pg with a square cut out at the bridge ,the corners have to be rounded. I found a few that looked OK but the description said they won't fit Mexican

• Members
I also have a Fender Mexican FSR strat with HSS' date=' which also has the 3 screws for the humbucker. I haven't opened it up in a long time, but I believe the humbucker itself has multiple mounting holes that also allow you to attach it to pickguards with 2 screw holes. I recommend opening it up and taking a look at the humbucker to be sure. I think only the Fender branded replacement pickguards will have the 3 screw holes. Most aftermarket brands (eg. All parts, Guitarfetish, etc) will have 2 screw holes for the humbucker, but in general should fit most Fender strats.[/quote']

I never realized the pickup could have an extra mounting hole. That would make things a lot easier

I'll have to have a look next string change

• Members

hmm i like the idea of an gold pickguard, altough i'm also for the classic black...

remove the pick guard and inspect the mounting options of your pickup as above suggested, maybe this will open up more possitibilities to you

• Members

Here one company that might be able to help you.

https://www.wdmusic.com/pickguards-fender-stratocaster.html

Don't quote me on this but I believe that humbucker mount is called a 3 hole humbucker. So if you look underneath the pickguard you should see 3 holes on one side of the pickup and 3 holes on the other.

like this

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/0992280100--fender-double-tap-humbucker-chrome?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3331288744&rkg_i d=0&product_id=0992280100&campaigntype=sho pping&campaign=aaShopping%20-%20Core%20-%20Guitars%20-%20No%20Token&adgroup=Guitars%20-%20Guitar%20Accessories&placement=google&a dpos=1o1&creative=332063179836&device=c&am p;matchtype=&network=s&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj cLh2K_f4AIVkFYNCh10yAVzEAQYASABEgI-A_D_BwE

I went back to this thread and it looks like my post from yesterday did not go through.

• Members

Next string change I'll have a look at the pickup mounting .

Not sure why the pickgaurd for American wion't fit Mexican but if they say so there must be a reason

I read an article that made the case for an alumnum pickgaurd or an aluminum plate under the pickgaurd being one of the strat "tone secrets"

• Members

I have a fund for a future partscaster build.

hmmm partscaster hmmm :)

i still have a lefty sunburst body with bridge installed, from my unloved MIA standard strat somewhere which is used for my warmoth strat

stripping it down getting another warmoth neck and all the missing hardware, might aswell be a fun projekt for me :)

but i have no place to do the stripping and refinishing thing...

• Members

hmmm partscaster hmmm :)

i still have a lefty sunburst body with bridge installed, from my unloved MIA standard strat somewhere which is used for my warmoth strat

stripping it down getting another warmoth neck and all the missing hardware, might aswell be a fun projekt for me :)

but i have no place to do the stripping and refinishing thing...

Partscasters are fun! I enjoy assembling and tweaking them. I learned a lot about all kinds of repairs, mods and setup work that way.

But like you, I have no inside place to strip and refinish. I do it outside on my deck. Got several projects waiting---it's 14oF and snowing, so it might be a while.

As to the pickguard question---I like the gold anodized piece. I think I'd like it even more with a rosewood or ebony fretboard.

Archived