if i'm going crazy and....

t_e_l_e

• Members

we played a gig last week and all hauling the stuff to the venue and back is really a big hassle, so it got me thinking in downsizing

i currently play a stereo amp setup rig which i absolutely love, consisting of a sovtek midget50h head with a 2x12 bandmaster cab and BYOC Tweed royal 1x12 combo

both amps set to unison volume slightly before break up and will be pushed by pedals with a TC HoF and a Korg SDD3000 pedal as the last two in the chain in front of the amp

i can use the sdd3000 preamp to control the volume and breakup on both amps in parallel

i really love this setup and the sound i get with it, but i have two problems with it:

1. its really a lot the haul around and my small mazda is half full with it...

2. how i set the sound currently its not usable for looping, caue every loop and overdub will drive the input more and more and will produce finally only mud

i could fix point 2 if i use the low input on the sovtek and set it to a more clean headroom setting, but as it is set now, it really great reacts on my playing dynamics where i can add some more grit just by hittin the strings harder, or playing very soft to get a complete other sound.

so that said, if i'm going crazy, and gonna change my amp setup partly or completely, what should i get instead?

dream rig would be something i can put in my trouser pocket but sounds the same as now :)

on the other hand i guess i'm not a fan of the idea of hearing my guitar sound only from the monitors on stage, because quality and options of monitoring vary from stage to stage we play a lot and there is no guarantee for a great stage sound

volume wise i fear not much a problem, the master of the sovtek is pretty low and the tweed royal is only on the 6W setting

i was also playing with the idea of getting a Vox AC-4 1x12 just for fun...

so be creative, i'm open for any ideas how to down size my rig, to maximise mobility without suffering in sound

even a complete digital only solution could be possible if it sounds great and doesn't weight a ton

• Members

Maybe 2 of these. IDK

[video=youtube;GB30KQd-iQY]

Magnatone makes a couple of really sweet sounding stereo amps. They are not cheap.

[video=youtube;3cFFsgCVR3w]

[video=youtube;9pJcjVzIPZQ]

You also have the Roland Jazz Chorus stuff

• Members
ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US

Suck it in - your self esteem that is - lol and find the best simulation you can live with. The digital tone is out there and already more convenimint.

i'll hear yeah and thats there reason why i'm asking in the first place. but e.g. a kemper is not really more portable with a cab.

and what are the best alternatives from your point of view and experience?

• Members

i'll hear yeah and thats there reason why i'm asking in the first place. but e.g. a kemper is not really more portable with a cab.

and what are the best alternatives from your point of view and experience?

The only thing I could call experience was a guy doing a one man stint with the Line 6 system at my favorite bar. Covered everything including bass and keys with the one guitar. I can't see needing a Kemper much less gigging with one. I was thinking of the self contained stuff that Boss and many other mMfgers put out. These Mooers recently got my attention.

[video=youtube;KABSKEP1q8Y]

Even if you don't always have access to a good house system, you could take along an open back two 12 and a class D guitar amp without any schlepp toll. You could use the drivers separately to approximate your two amp setup.

• Members

I've been considering getting rid of all my amps and going with one "do it all" amp. For my purposes the upgraded version of the Fender Mustang GT 100 is the leading contender. The down side is they are basiclly a throw away unit.

Magnatone makes a couple of really sweet sounding stereo amps. They are not cheap.

[video=youtube;3cFFsgCVR3w]

[video=youtube;9pJcjVzIPZQ]

I reviewed the Panoramic Stereo a while back. It's an absolutely glorious sounding amplifier - it's definitely on my GAS list... but while they have two inputs, the front end (preamp section) of the amp is mono - the second input is just padded down 6dB vs. the first input - IOW, lower sensitivity. It wouldn't be possible to plug both of the stereo outs from a Korg SDD3000 into it directly.

we played a gig last week and all hauling the stuff to the venue and back is really a big hassle, so it got me thinking in downsizing

i currently play a stereo amp setup rig which i absolutely love, consisting of a sovtek midget50h head with a 2x12 bandmaster cab and BYOC Tweed royal 1x12 combo

both amps set to unison volume slightly before break up and will be pushed by pedals with a TC HoF and a Korg SDD3000 pedal as the last two in the chain in front of the amp

i can use the sdd3000 preamp to control the volume and breakup on both amps in parallel

i really love this setup and the sound i get with it, but i have two problems with it:

1. its really a lot the haul around and my small mazda is half full with it...

2. how i set the sound currently its not usable for looping, caue every loop and overdub will drive the input more and more and will produce finally only mud

Where are you trying to insert the looper in the signal path?

i was also playing with the idea of getting a Vox AC-4 1x12 just for fun...

Maybe try using a Princeton Amp or Princeton Reverb instead of the Sovtek head and 2x12 cabinet? :idk:

• Members

Where are you trying to insert the looper in the signal path?

Maybe try using a Princeton Amp or Princeton Reverb instead of the Sovtek head and 2x12 cabinet? :idk:

the looper was last in the signal chain before the sovtek. its just a simple rc-2 so no stereo.

if i would use the low input on the sovtek i would get much more clean headroom and then looping would not be a problem

but i use the high input with the gain very low just before breakup, so a boost or a ts9 in front of it acts like the preamp gain knob

the sound i get with it is lovely and is what i really like about it, but having a looper and doing stacking loops will just drive the input too much and creates a mess

the tweed royal is a mix between 5e3 deluxe and champ somewhat, there is not much head room anyway and pushed with pedals you know how this sounds :)

i get my current sound, which i really like, as combination of pedals and amps and its not really possible to loop such setup as the amp sound plays a big role.

i got the sovtek as an cheap alternativ for an jtm45/jcm800 and it really delivers. the tweed royal is great, but i put a celestion vintage 30 instead of a jensen speaker in it, which sounds much better, but made it significantly heavier

soundwise i'm really happy and i absolutely do not want to change this, but it got me thinking, is there a (much) smaller setup out there which react to my playing attack and has such warmth in sound?

lets say money is no issue, but size and weight is, where would you go with modern amp modelling stuff?

• Members

I'm not sure what or where the current incarnation of Line 6 POD tech is, mainly because I quit looking at or thinking about amps when I got my X3 Live. Please understand, I am a large format analog guy. Yep, I know and love all the bulky, expensive stuff like no other. However, as 1001 already said, the digital tone is there. I will never carry an amp again. I will bring a full stereo rig, with any cab I can think of, along with any pedal I would ever want, AND my guitar, in one trip. The only caveat it that mods take a fair bit of tweaking and referencing, but once you get past the learning curve, you'll probably never go back.

One better, I was in a band that did everything direct. E-drums and amp mods. Without the stage volume, monitors aren't required to push so hard, feedback and "stage wash" becomes non-existent. No bleed onto vocal mics. Soundcheck takes less than a song. If you go do IEMs and a digital mixer, you can simply save and recall the whole mix, and you would only ever have to adjust FOH for the room.

the looper was last in the signal chain before the sovtek. its just a simple rc-2 so no stereo.

(snip)

soundwise i'm really happy and i absolutely do not want to change this, but it got me thinking, is there a (much) smaller setup out there which react to my playing attack and has such warmth in sound?

Have you tried putting the looper first in your chain? Let it drive the effects and see what happens...

If you like the sound of what you have now, you're probably going to want to stay with what you have... changing anything in the setup is going to change the sound.

• Members

Have you tried putting the loop[QUer first in your chain? Let it drive the effects and see what happens...

sure its an option but what if i want to have different effects on different loops/overdubs.... :)

If you like the sound of what you have now, you're probably going to want to stay with what you have... changing anything in the setup is going to change the sound.

thats one reason i called this thread "if i'm going crazy..." cause why to change a setup you are completely happy with :)

• Members

I honestly can't imagine going back to using traditional amps. If I know there's a decent PA all I'm bringing is the Kemper, its foot controller, and an expression pedal.

If unsure I chuck a 2x12 cab in my car just in case and drive it like a stack with the internal 600w power amp.

Set up is about 10 minutes and my sound to the audience has never been this good before.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","height":"789","title":"PSX_20190122_010722.jpg","width":"1000","data-attachmentid":32481046}[/ATTACH]

Archived