Fender Electric XII Saddle Buzzing

akpasta

• Members

Hi Folks,

I've got a 66' Fender XII with saddle "sitar" sounding buzz coming from the high D octave and high G octave.

Some backstory: I've had the frets replaced on this guitar. I've also had a new nut made and I've added some spacers between string saddles at the bridge. Both the new nut and bridge saddle spacers were done to reduce vibration of string pairs against each other, which was also causing buzz.

I've still got this awful sitar-like buzz coming from the high D octave (.13 gauge) and high G octave (.10 gauge). The buzz happens open and everywhere up the neck. I've been told by two separate guitar shops that it HAS to be the saddles. To test, I flipped both saddles upside down, which exposed each string to a clean, un-used saddle. Still buzzes.

For those unfamiliar with Electric XII bridge, the saddles are round. Attached photo is not mine, but you can see what I mean. Lots of opportunity for leading edge saddle vibration I would think.

The only other thing a local shop said that I could possibly do is to cut paths in the saddles for the strings so ensure they are not vibrating on a leading edge of the saddle. Should I do this?

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks.

• Members

First diagnostic thing I would do is to press some blu-tac or putty on to the springs and those long string runs because the opportunities for ringing there are enormous. My 535 has a similar string length after the bridge (albeit without springs) and they sing quite loud unless I thread something through them as a damper.

• Members

I would start by taking those two strings off the guitar and seeing if it still buzzes. Then put one at a time back on.

​​​​​​​The way the one in the picture is adjusted (which makes sense) the octave 3rd and 4th strings have the saddles adjusted the farthest forward - that means springs are under the least compression. You might try putting some spacers under the ends of the springs to increase the compression.

However, I also agree with BP - that bridge scares my mule.

Archived