Restoration advice

EIholdem

• Members

I have an old Aria Pro II PE-1500. Per the serial number, manufacture was in 1977. A long while ago, the nut broke. I have just had the urge to replace it, and thought while I was at it why dont I just go all out and customize the thing? But checked the going prices first, and am not sure it is such a great idea to mess with an all original guitar when the going rate is ~1500 bucks. It needs a good bit of TLC though. In addition to the nut, the saddles are in need of replacement. 40 years of string tension has cut some pretty deep notches in them. The bridge is showing signs of pitting. The pickup covers may just polish up, I hope, one of the pickup rings is cracked. The finish is worn, but as the "antique violin" was the only finish available, Im not sure how to replicate it and also not sure if Im committing blasphemy to strip and refinish in anything other than period correct finish. It also badly needs refretting, but i do actually want to play the thing and I doubt it is enough of a collectors item to eed the frets left alone. I may also need one replacement knob. One fell off, always had a tendency to, but its been in the same closet for 8 years so it should be able to be located.

Any thoughts or advice? If kept original, where would I find replacement saddles for the bridge? Thoughts on a refinish? Thanks in advance.

• Members

Make it playable, and keep it. Are you sure it needs to be refretted, or just leveled and crowned? Broken pickup ring? Buy another. Get a new bridge. Pitted metal, after 40 years of arm sweat? How horrid. It's part of aging. Deal with it. IF you decide to do the cosmetic thing, and refinish it, you took a

1500 guitar and made it 400. Finish doesn't make it play any better, now does it?

• Members

The pickup ring is no sweat and knobs are cheap. A new nut is fairly straightforward if you have the proper tools. The bridge is odd looking. I can't say I've seen one like it and it might be tricky to replace. You may have to live with it:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Aria_Pro.jpg","data-attachmentid":32459463}[/ATTACH]

Give it a setup and maybe fretwork if necessary. Don't do anything else in terms of refinishing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived