Guitar with thin neck

guitargrl182

• Members

I am in my mid 30s, been playing since I was 14. My original *stock* Fender Jag Stang (Cobain sig) is always in the shop with electrical issues. I love the thin neck of the JS since I am a petite woman. I also have a Cobain Jaguar I love, but the neck is a bit wider. Anyone recommend a thin neck guitar that is fine for petite women? I am so tiny I cant even play a standard acoustic because my arms are so short.

• Members

"Fender Jag Stang (Cobain sig) is always in the shop with electrical issues."

I'll be honest and say I think you are probably being conned. Guitar electrics are very simple electrically.

You need to find a reputable guitar tech to go through the electrics once and you should be good to go for many years.

• Members

I put together a Jagstang thing for a guy a while back. Kahler bridge, funky pickups and really weird switching. I can't take credit for the finish - I guess you either like it or not.

The one thing about Jaguar/Mustangs is their short scale length with the OP might really like - 24 inches as I recall. The owner of this one was a big Kurt Cobain fan

IMG_3809_zpsf0wyxiay.jpg

• Members
I am in my mid 30s' date=' been playing since I was 14. My original *stock* Fender Jag Stang (Cobain sig) is always in the shop with electrical issues. I love the thin neck of the JS since I am a petite woman. I also have a Cobain Jaguar I love, but the neck is a bit wider. Anyone recommend a thin neck guitar that is fine for petite women?[b'] I am so tiny I [/b]cant even play a standard acoustic because my arms are so short.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but I'll take your word for it.

I have a bunch of Rickenbackers. The 330's is lovely, the 620 has a very narrow fretboard, but it's not as thin as the 330.

The last Ricky I bought was a 350V63. The thing is amazing, small body, toaster pups. My only complaint is the middle pick is right about where you want to pick. It's an old school tone monster.

What I believe you mean by a thinner neck is really a smaller scale too. Maybe not.

The Rickenbacker 325 is kind of what John Lennon played.

The ones I have played had a bit thicker neck than my 350, but the scale is 20-3/4", and has a 1-5/8" nut width

I couldn't play the 325 as it is small, but you might love one. The toaster pickups are a tad weaker than you think, but pushed with a Trebble booster or Overdrive pedal it's amazing.

Rickenbacker doesn't advertise their prices so you need to call the store and see what they are charging. The 350v63 I have was a few grand, however, the 325 is more, probably just because John Lennon played one.

The scale on the 620's is 24-3/4" super narrow fretboard on mine, and has a little fatter of a C shape neck.

The modern pups are awesome too, but in a different way than the toaster pups are.

Most people that play a Rickenbacker guitar keep it for life. I also have a 330 12 string.

All Rickenbacker's come in either a silver Tolex case, or a very nice plastic hard shell case. Some of the stuff in the 70's and 80's came in a black tolex hardshell case.

[video=youtube;Bnqri96CqE4]

[video=youtube;cFvVlk9yViE]

[video=youtube;d6aIFD4b29M]

[video=youtube;4KhMAAZJaKk]

[video=youtube;ElndYHG6niM]

• Members

Keeping with the Cobain theme Mosrite guitars have the thinnest necks I've encountered 1 1/2"wide 1/2" deep and the Hallmark Mosrite copies are just a bit bigger. Larrivee Electrics are also small but I only have played the 1 I own. Guild's super Strats from the 80's were small. Rick are also on the small side.

• Members

The Fender Duo Sonic and Music Masters are short scale guitars, that are somewhat common in the local big box stores. A bit more uncommon are the older Peavey Patriot and T15. Short scale and the thinnest necks I have ever seen on a guitar.

But I am going to go the sexist route here, and please forgive me. Have you tried DRG, also known as Daisey Rock? Designed for women, by women, the curves, shapes and scale length are all meant for the smaller body and hands of girls and women.

• Members

First, hi and welcome to the Forum. Second, I'm going to agree with Chordite. An electric guitar is pretty straightforward in terms of electronics unless it has active pickups. Find another tech. Third, nice keetee has the best idea: Go out and play a bunch of guitars to see what fits.

• Members

I'm skeptical too. Seen it happen too many times.

Yep

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"hwyepewzwcntk5c51vln.jpg","data-attachmentid":32450283}[/ATTACH]

My 620 is in fireglo

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"rickenbacker-620-fireglo.jpg","data-attachmentid":32450284}[/ATTACH]Midnight Blue is lovely and more of a blue silver like this. My 350 is in Midnight Blue

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"R620MBXXX-P.fpx?cvt=jpg.jpg","data-attachmentid":32450285}[/ATTACH]

[video=youtube;1huvGIubavs]

[video=youtube;CpmgMnUtaog]

Rickenbacker's are not as popular as say Fender and Gibson stuff. They have there own thing going on, in a really cool way.

Here's the difference between a vintage 360 w/ toater pups and a modern 330 w/ their modern pups.

[video=youtube;sGzcHL28dI8]

Not all Mustangs / Music Masters / Duo Sonics have thin necks... in fact, I’ve run across some that are u shaped and very chunky.

Having said that, every Jag-stang I’ve ever played did... and so did every early 90’s era Made in Japan Mustang. They have the same necks as the Jag-stangs.

Many Gibson SG’s have thin necks, but they are full scale 24 3/4” guitars. The first Fullerton made and earliest Corona made American Vintage Reissue ‘62 Strats have thin necks too, but even longer (25.5”) necks.

I have a Rickenbacker 610 (a less fancy version of the 620 shown above) and it has a pretty thin neck, but it's got a fairly rounded profile... it's not really wide, but it's got a bit more of a rounded shape to the profile. I'm okay with it, but it's not my favorite neck of all time.

I agree with the others who suggest getting a good tech to fix your existing guitar’s electronics. They shouldn’t be going out all the time and a good tech should be able to fix them once and properly so you will be done with it for years...

• Members
. . . Gibson SG’s have thin necks' date=' but they are full scale 24 3/4” guitars. The first Fullerton made and earliest Corona made American Vintage Reissue ‘62 Strats have thin necks too, but even longer (25.5”) necks. . . .[/quote']

Take this with a huge grain of salt coming from a guy who's well over 6' but I wouldn't think an extra 3/4" would be huge problem so an SG might work. The OP might feel differently though. IIRC, Luna made a 22" scale electric at one time but AFAIK it's no longer being made and it was marketed for children anyway. Heck, she can always find a 25 1/2" scale guitar with the right neck and put a capo on it. ;)

Take this with a huge grain of salt coming from a guy who's well over 6' but I wouldn't think an extra 3/4" would be huge problem so an SG might work. The OP might feel differently though. IIRC, Luna made a 22" scale electric at one time but AFAIK it's no longer being made and it was marketed for children anyway. Heck, she can always find a 25 1/2" scale guitar with the right neck and put a capo on it. ;)

All valid points... although I do feel the difference between a 24" scale and 24 3/4" scale - and I own both, as well as 25.5" scale guitars as well. I am 5'8" and I have pretty small hands, so I'm really picky about neck profiles. Scale length bothers me less than neck profile and thickness - a thicker or more U shaped neck with thicker "shoulders" is a deal-breaker for me as far as my personal guitars go.

I wouldn't personally recommend anything shorter than 24" though - too much tuning instability / intonation issues for my tastes. YMMV.

Archived