No announcement yet.

Need advice: DIY Travel Guitar

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freeman Keller View Post

Actually, having thought about it for about five minutes, this is the perfect solution. Buy the cheapest Tele you can get, unscrew the neck and put the screws and plate in a baggie with the screwdriver (actually, they won't allow a screw driver on an airplane, throw it in the checked luggage). Wrap the guitar and neck in a couple of towels and put them in a back pack. A genuine Fender amp and cord and TSA should be happy

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3697.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	32449154
    Could this be and option?

Name:	sta-n214-130-big.jpg
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	32449321

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

• Freeman Keller
      Freeman Keller commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, but if the neck was going to be removed and reinstalled every time you traveled I would be tempted to convert to a true bolt on and use flat head allen bolts. I think an allen wrench would pass inspection.

I have a Washburn Rover which I think is a superb guitar; it's in pink and that meant I got it half price. It would be easy enough to plumb in a pup and you'd have the best of both worlds - acoustic and electric!!
    My third guitar ever was a Watkins Rapier 3.

E&OE

Comment

Originally posted by mrbrown49 View Post

Looks bulky and fragile. Unless those body silhouette pieces are removable?

Yes, at least one does. Can't remember if both bouts come off... Seems to me I remember there's a purpose-made (-shaped) case for it all, too...

Didn't seem fragile when I was noodling on one in a store...

For OP, Fender used to make a small palm-sized battery-powered amp; I have one and it's surprisingly effective. Marshal made a similar tiny-stack. Dunno if either still makes either, though.

-D44
      ************************************************** *********************************

Old guy, just trying to play through the arthritis...
      - Balance is a virtue; loud for its own sake is not... and loud won't fix bad
      - I may not interpret ridiculous, crazy, or stupid the way you intended
      - Common retail products are never awesome (thermo-nuclear probably is, though)
      Assume the requisite list of stuff...

Comment

I think they still make these,

Name:	yjpebkcktet95tfvevxu.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	32451253

Name:	azmt251a0zltx73dionl.jpg
Size:	573.8 KB