Imbecile on Craigslist says my LPS is fake

Busk

• Members

Guy sends me a message absolutely comvinced my LPS is a Chinese fake. It’s not. It’s a 97 Ive had for 20 years. It has none of the many, discussed elements you find on fakes. Everything is correct on it and of course the thing plays and sounds like it should, but the guy just wants to go on and on. I kept asking him for an apology. Finally, had to flag him. What’s wrong with people? I’m not even particularly motivated to sell the thing.

• Members

Must be a sign of the times. Rather than simply saying he thinks something might be amiss, he accuses me of being in the guitar scamming business. Like he comes immediately with the unnecessary, misplaced outrage. What a tool.

• Members
and so it begins...

i`m only interested to see it ,i couldn`t tell from looking unless it was something glaringly obviouse like epiphpne crossed out and gibbson spelled wrong or something ,

but if i had it in my hands and were able to feel it and play it and alter stuff and how it responded, then yes .

someone once offered me a zak wylde white with black circles gibson les paul and it looked great but when i tried to lower the action it would only go so far,,, i wanted to see how low i could get it and i know that more or less any guitar is capable of having the action going too low if you want it like that but this guitar would not do it which made me suspicious .

• Members

Sometimes its the photos taken that can skew the looks, make it look like components aren't mounted in the same place or change the aspect ratio. without seeing a picture its impossible to know if it was an honest mistake or not.

Given the fact of just how many forgeries are sold, there is good reason for people to be cautious. Many of the things which were dead give away yesterday are systematically being eliminated. I've seen some fakes which have things like the binding over the frets and actual Gibson hardware being used. The only thing I haven't seen yet is the serial number finished over. The fakes still have the serial numbers stamped through the finish and you see raw wood. Gibson stamps the necks before finishing and they are painted and lacquered over. Many other things like using an actual bone nut, installing Gibson pickups and wiring are pretty simple. Even the logo's aren't a give away any more.

I have no doubt your is a real. I have an anniversary model which is one of 800 and its unlikely they would try create a forgery. Certain models like Customs, SG's are copied the most. You can visit auction sites like Alibaba and pick up anything you want for less then $200 and add $100 worth of parts and come fairly close to looking like an actual Gibson. They even use the same Mahogany and Rosewood which makes it hard to tell by the wood like you used to be able to on many imports.

• Members

I don’t have a problem with someone thinking it’s fake and expressing concern. That’s fine. It’s just insisting it’s fake no matter what. The particularly funny part was the guy said it is surely a fake because all Gibsons have the serial number and made in the USA stamped on the back of the headstock. My back of the headstock photo was not great but it’s clear when you see the actual instrument which I explained. Also it’s not clear because as one forum member pointed out, it’s stamped and then painted and lacquered over. So the guy comes back with “it’s still a fake.” So damn dumb....

• Members
Sometimes its the photos taken that can skew the looks, make it look like components aren't mounted in the same place or change the aspect ratio. without seeing a picture its impossible to know if it was an honest mistake or not.

Given the fact of just how many forgeries are sold, there is good reason for people to be cautious. Many of the things which were dead give away yesterday are systematically being eliminated. I've seen some fakes which have things like the binding over the frets and actual Gibson hardware being used. The only thing I haven't seen yet is the serial number finished over. The fakes still have the serial numbers stamped through the finish and you see raw wood. Gibson stamps the necks before finishing and they are painted and lacquered over. Many other things like using an actual bone nut, installing Gibson pickups and wiring are pretty simple. Even the logo's aren't a give away any more.

I have no doubt your is a real. I have an anniversary model which is one of 800 and its unlikely they would try create a forgery. Certain models like Customs, SG's are copied the most. You can visit auction sites like Alibaba and pick up anything you want for less then $200 and add $100 worth of parts and come fairly close to looking like an actual Gibson. They even use the same Mahogany and Rosewood which makes it hard to tell by the wood like you used to be able to on many imports.

Also, when you pick up and play a real LPS vs a fake, it would have to be a pretty nice fake LPS in its own right to play and sound close. I don’t think anyone can do that for under $200, maybe $300. I think stock Agiles are OK but not quite an LPS. Epis are OK too, but they must cost $400 these days, and use some pretty obvious lower cost elements.

• Members

Busk. I also have a guitar that I've owned for over 40 years put it on face book and had many people call it a Fake. It's a Gibson EDS1275 that I finally tracked to ED Seelig From Silver Strings Music in St Louis. He gave me the original owner's name and verified that he sold it to and later sold it for Johnny Winter,s. It's late 60's and yet all these kids who have in the last 20 year have seen all these MIC Copies think it's a fake .

• Members
Busk. I also have a guitar that I've owned for over 40 years put it on face book and had many people call it a Fake. It's a Gibson EDS1275 that I finally tracked to ED Seelig From Silver Strings Music in St Louis. He gave me the original owner's name and verified that he sold it to and later sold it for Johnny Winter,s. It's late 60's and yet all these kids who have in the last 20 year have seen all these MIC Copies think it's a fake .

Yeah, I actually called Gibson and the serial number matches the year model and finish. Like a counterfeiter in the 90s would have bothered to do that...

• Members
Busk. I also have a guitar that I've owned for over 40 years put it on face book and had many people call it a Fake. It's a Gibson EDS1275 that I finally tracked to ED Seelig From Silver Strings Music in St Louis. . . .

I wasn't going to post in this thread but wow. That brings back memories. Ed sold me the first set of strings for my first electric guitar. I'd bought it on--of all things--CraigsList and naturally the first thing I wanted to do was put new strings on it. In case you didn't know, Silver Strings is no more. Ed got tired of getting screwed by his landlord and closed up shop. :(

Archived