Mary kay white finish on Roasted swamp ash??

11oro

• Members

i just orderd my first strat body

and neck from warmoth and musikraft

but i found out that mary kay finish on roasted swamp ash turn out little dark

becuse roasted swamp ash is darker than normal swamp ash

my warmoth body is

flame maple top and roasted swamp ash body

and finish is mary kay white

any one got real picture of roasted swamp ash body that is finished mary kay white??? smiley-happy

and i'm super worried that top flame maple is bright and roasted swamp ash body is dark

so side that two wood meet could be awful ...

(i'm from korea so my english is not that good sorry guys)

• Members

welcome here.

do you have any link to details what you ordered where? never heard from musikkraft before.

are you sure that the mary kaye finish is transparent so that the woold grain shines through the finish? i thought it is a solid white color, but i might be wrong...

if you really wanted a flame maple top you wanted a realy transparent finish on it to see all the beaty of the wood.

easiest thing send warmoth an email about your order, they need 10 weeks or so to finish a body so if you just ordered the chance are high the have not started yet.

they are very helpfull and respond very quick with any question

• Members

i'm 100% sure it is transparent mary kay finish warmoth offer 4 kind of white finish and mary kay white is one, and i emailed wormoth but my order was 2weeks ago so they can't change the wood.... so i pray my warmoth body turn out great and looking for any Roasted swamp ash that is finished with mary kay white and musikraft link is here https://musikraft.com/ you can google musikraft neck and it's great

• Members

i'm 100% sure it is transparent mary kay finish warmoth offer 4 kind of white finish and mary kay white is one, and i emailed wormoth but my order was 2weeks ago so they can't change the wood.... so i pray my warmoth body turn out great and looking for any Roasted swamp ash that is finished with mary kay white and musikraft link is here https://musikraft.com/ you can google musikraft neck and it's great

• Members

I don't think I've seen Mary Kay on top of roasted ash. I like the contrast between a dark body and light top, but I don't know how bad it would be since the opacity on MK is usually pretty high. You might be able to change it depending on how long ago you ordered. If I was worried about the contrast, I'd get binding and have the back painted a solid white and the top Mary Kay.

Like I said though, I personally wouldn't worry about it.

Mary Kay is definitely a transparent finish.

• Members

thanks for your comment i decided to stick to mary kay white top and back and hope it turn out great and next time i should think more befor i order... I should have gone roasted flame maple neck with roasted swamp ash body , roasted maple neck looks great on mary kay strat

• Members

i did a check at warmoth you are right and mary kaye is transparent. to me have the body roasted is a plus as the grain would be more visible which i personaly would like to have.

i'm not sure how the flame maple top on a strat comes out, but thats also just my personal taste

i have a strat with a warmoth body with a discontinued transparent neon green finish and warmoth neck which i absolutely love

i hope you will love yours as much as mine, be sure to post some pictures here when it arives :)

• Members

thanks t_e_l_e , i promise to post my strat when it arrive it will take 6~8 weeks i think

if it turn out great i will order Thinlind tele too!! like 2years later... i spent all my money

on this strat i pray it turn out great !!

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Hi 11oro

Did you get that guitar with the roasted swamp ash with a trans white finish?

Please could you kindly post pictures of it.

I'm really interested in how it turned out as I'm interested in something similar in the future.

I'm particularly interested in the back of the guitar and how the transparent mary kaye finish looks over the roasted swamp ash.

Thanks!

• Members

Here is Mary Kay white stratocaster body (not a Warmoth) over poorly matched woods. The finish is semi transparent and the grain and undelying wood color can show through. This is an extreme example that I promptly sent back with a few kind words like "You've got to be kidding!"

The 3rd pic is my Fender AVRI '57. The finish takes on a pinkish tone from the wood underneath (Ash) and is actually a burst, semi-transparent in the center and more solid white at the edges.

b5e9434ab355f34d14886b029c681ba0.thumb.jpg.8a23afb4aa2b4a10319fbf6ad5bebc0f.jpg

eb2bd3257ad18f09da80707efe0e8a23.thumb.jpg.180f08b09b5143a2161932f2a3cfafd6.jpg

4b48718352085997b4a8c8f817276eff.jpg.8a5c8a1e01a7edbb8cf9c37748285d0b.jpg

Wow - the mismatch of the woods on that body is pretty darned glaring... :eekphil::freak::(

I used to have a AVRI '57 RI that looked just like yours (the finished guitar), except it had chrome hardware. It wasn't actually a "Mary Kaye", but it had that same semi-transparent white finish, with the grain of the ash showing through it. It's a great look IMO! :philthumb:

• Members
Wow - the mismatch of the woods on that body is pretty darned glaring... :eekphil::freak::(

I used to have a AVRI '57 RI that looked just like yours (the finished guitar), except it had chrome hardware. It wasn't actually a "Mary Kaye", but it had that same semi-transparent white finish, with the grain of the ash showing through it. It's a great look IMO! :philthumb:

Yeah, that body was pretty hideous. I'll thrown down here and tell you it is one of the "new and improved" GFS bodies. I hate to see what the old ones were like lol. GFS gave me a full refund but really, how does one even put their name on something like that? They really run hot and cold on wood finishes. That spalted maple tele I just put together was a GFS body and it was really nice.

I am thinking the OP's could be fine if the finish is more opaque or possibly show just a bit different between the top and back depending how dark the back is. Being a Warmoth body, they are no slouches and I doubt they would turn out anything substandard.

• Members
i just orderd my first strat body

and neck from warmoth and musikraft

but i found out that mary kay finish on roasted swamp ash turn out little dark

becuse roasted swamp ash is darker than normal swamp ash

my warmoth body is

flame maple top and roasted swamp ash body

and finish is mary kay white

any one got real picture of roasted swamp ash body that is finished mary kay white??? smiley-happy

and i'm super worried that top flame maple is bright and roasted swamp ash body is dark

so side that two wood meet could be awful ...

(i'm from korea so my english is not that good sorry guys)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived