No announcement yet.

Instrument breakers

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

Pete Townshend has broken probably more guitars than anyone else I can think of.

Personally, I greatly dislike the idea. I get the theater of it, and the punk aspect, but I'd rather see those instruments being placed into the hands of underprivileged kids instead. YMMV.
    Strange I only vaguely recall that. It seems some people just get a gold pass.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

Originally posted by Charliebrm
      No love for Kurt Russell? First time up and he's 1 for 1.
      That clip is just heartbreaking to watch. The sheer terror on the face of Jennifer Jason Leigh is quite real, because she knew it was the real 140+ year old vintage Martin, but apparently Kurt was unaware that it was the real instrument and not the reproduction that he was supposed to smash instead.

Did Tarantino do it deliberately to get an "authentic" reaction from JJL? I don't know... but Martin isn't loaning out any priceless vintage guitars to movie producers anymore, and if he did do it deliberately, that's despicable IMO. She's a good enough actor that IMO he could have gotten a completely convincing reaction from her to Russell's character destroying one of the reproductions instead of the irreplaceable original from the 1870s.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
      - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
      - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
      - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Pete Townshend has broken probably more guitars than anyone else I can think of.

Personally, I greatly dislike the idea. I get the theater of it, and the punk aspect, but I'd rather see those instruments being placed into the hands of underprivileged kids instead. YMMV.
        Put me in the "I don't get it" camp as well. Granted I've never been a serious Rock fan but it just seems kinda dumb and a waste. El Kabong should have stayed a cartoon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ElKabong.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	32435093
        Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
        Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
        Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
        Member of the Schecter Society
        Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

• Chordite
          Chordite commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that takes me back to my childhhood. "I will El Kabong you with my El Kabonger"

• Phil O'Keefe
          Phil O'Keefe commented
          Editing a comment
          El Kabooooong!

I loved that cartoon (Quick Draw McGraw, or "Queeks Draw", according to his sidekick Baba Looey) when I was a kid!

• DeepEnd
          DeepEnd commented
          Editing a comment
          Does anyone know how they made the "kabong" sound effect? I hope they didn't smash a real guitar. And I wonder if people would call Baba Looey a racist stereotype today? He was always smarter than Quick Draw so maybe not.

I worried about the Thelma and Loiuse T-bird.
        Then it came up for auction, whew!
        https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Even...OVIE-CAR-61726

Comment

not that much as you would expect. there was a guitar world or so article years ago or somewhere else, which explained that pete has smashed the same guitar(s) over and over again and it was "repaired" always for the next show and that it was really surprise how often he could smash a guitar and repair it and it still be playable and stayed in tune at least for one song...

so it was just a couple, maybe less than ten or even less over his whole career...

Comment

Only justified instrument smashing caught on video...

Comment

• 1001gear
              1001gear commented
              Editing a comment
              Perhaps but...

Originally posted by Midlife Rocker View Post
            Only justified instrument smashing caught on video...
            Haha!

The exception that proves the rule!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
            - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
            - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
            - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

THIS KID. @ 3:50. I get that it's probably a cr@p bass, but still...

The instruments that SHOULD be smashed include harmonica and accordion, but NOOOO, that never happens!

Also, there was this charming video from teh ATEYS. Multi-instrumental smashing!

This space left intentionally blank.

Comment

• 1001gear
                1001gear commented
                Editing a comment
                Brats. Wonder how their demise is going...
                -smilie-

Comment

smashing plates and some nice jugs
                There is nothing worse than a politician who avoids putting skeletons in a cupboard,they are more likely under the patio.

.https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum...s/censored.gif

Comment

I remember when one of the guitar mags tried to make Brad Delson from Linkin Park pose for a spread like he was smashing a guitar, and he couldn’t do it, kept cracking up and looking like an 8 year old, so they just gave up trying. Not a huge fan of his music but liked that he was such a laid back dude that thought it was too silly to do.
                  '79 Strat Hardtail
                  Carvin SC90 flametop
                  97 Gibby LP Std. 'burst
                  Heritage 575
                  Peavey TL-6
                  MIJ Blue Flower Tele MIJ Pink Paisley Strat
                  Carvin Bolt-T Swamp Ash
                  Hohner Steinberger
                  73' Rick 4001 Fireglo
                  Larrivee D-09
                  Agile Doubleneck
                  Some handmade Paracho flamenco guitar
                  Seagull S12+.

Amps:
                  Legend 30
                  Billm Blues Jr.
                  Mesa Nomad 45
                  Ampeg J12-T
                  Homebrew 1 1/2 watt tube sucker

Lotsa modded pedals.

Comment

• 1001gear
                    1001gear commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think most performers have enough sense. It's the masses that don't.

Originally posted by t_e_l_e View Post

not that much as you would expect. there was a guitar world or so article years ago or somewhere else, which explained that pete has smashed the same guitar(s) over and over again and it was "repaired" always for the next show and that it was really surprise how often he could smash a guitar and repair it and it still be playable and stayed in tune at least for one song...

so it was just a couple, maybe less than ten or even less over his whole career...
                  That maybe explains why he hasn't been kidnapped by terrorists.
                  Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1LmUO4dCyU

Comment

Working...
                    X