What is "burl" ? What is that made from, mostly ? roots, or something else ? Is there a preferred tree that burl is from , or just anything that is like that, to make things with "burl" ?

crustoleum

• Members

A burl is a tree growth in which the grain has grown in a deformed manner. It is usually found on the trunk, at the base of the tree, and sometimes underground in the form of a rounded outgrowth. It is caused by some kind of stress, such as injury, virus, fungus, insect infestation or mold growth.

thanks to Hunski Hardwoods

• Members
burl is the effect of incorrect growth of wood which affects the grain, tending toward a knot-like swirl.

It is not a specific type of wood, but the appearance that is referred to as 'burl' or 'burled'. 'Bird's-eye' maple is a burled wood.

https://treehut.co/blogs/news/what-i...than-you-think

I read some wood finishing books before I did my Carvins and apparently wood guys distinguish between "figure" which is the distinctive coloration - flame/quilt/burl etc..., and "grain" which pertains to the actual cell structure and alignment.

• Members
[h=2]Definition of burl [/h] 1 : a knot or lump in thread or cloth

2a : a hard woody often flattened hemispherical outgrowth on a tree

b : veneer made from burls

Burl maple usually comes from a maple trunk that's either wounded, genetically defective or improperly healed. It can make for some one of a kind, truly astounding looking grains when finished naturally.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"wr_3846_front_up_closeup_an.jpg","data-attachmentid":32432762}[/ATTACH]

Birds eye maple (sugar maple) is in the same category but on a much smaller scale. Its a natural occurrence caused when the tree attempts to grow new branches but fails dur to poor growing conditions. Knots from these failed attempts create a swirl in the wood and are very attractive when finished. Birds Eye is especially favored for necks because the knotty eyes are harder and denser and the wood resonates well. Its highly valued for its tone and unique patterns, and because it more rare then other types of fast growth maple.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomfarrington.com%2Febay%2Fttele2w.jpg&hash=36f80ae8adb9715a690a246fa5b93aec.jpg","data-attachmentid":32432763}[/ATTACH]

Because Birds eye is rare allot of woods get sold as Birds eye which should actually be called Burl.

This for example is obviously Burl given its extreme twisted grains. If it does contain some birds eyes it could be called Birds Eye Burl. It likely came from a damaged Sugar Maple which was also stressed during growth. Still its a beautiful natural grain and the semantics between Birds Eye or Burl is chiefly a description of what you see in the grain.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"JD_Spalt.jpg","data-attachmentid":32432764}[/ATTACH]

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Paying extra for defects that look interesting LOL!

Well now, Malcolm, I gotta disagree.

I'm currently having an OM (acoustic) built that has some lovely silking in the grain of its Sitka top. This is also a "defect", so to speak.

What's wrong with liking wood that's different, interesting and beautiful?

• Members

Music is only very selectively about aesthetics. Whichever aesthetics I'm not interested in shouldn't exist.

Music isn't about aesthetics? Really? What's it about, then---architecture? Mathematics? :rolleyes:

Tangentially, I agree with your second statement. I do NOT understand why the world isn't focused on MY immediate gratification :mad2:

;)

• Members
Music isn't about aesthetics? Really? What's it about, then---architecture? Mathematics? :rolleyes:

Tangentially, I agree with your second statement. I do NOT understand why the world isn't focused on MY immediate gratification :mad2:

;)

"Not about aesthetics" means you don't appreciate music with your eyes. You can't judge an actor's performance by reading Shakespeare, you have to watch and listen. The color or grain or whatever of someone's guitar shouldn't affect my perception of how it sounds or how well he/she plays. Use your ears for that.

• Members

"Not about aesthetics" means you don't appreciate music with your eyes. You can't judge an actor's performance by reading Shakespeare, you have to watch and listen. The color or grain or whatever of someone's guitar shouldn't affect my perception of how it sounds or how well he/she plays. Use your ears for that.

"Aesthetics" isn't limited to only one sense.

• Members
I want to see someone who says only the sound matters to actually back up their statement and only play unpainted pieces of square wood.

I presume you've seen the cinder block guitar demonstration. The guitar sounds like--wait for it--a guitar. The same guitar would sound the same no matter what color it was. That doesn't mean you can't appreciate a nice burst or bit of flame but it shouldn't be the primary consideration.

• Members

the nice burl Ibanez is still there at the local pawn place "here". . It has been there few months. I have $500.00 from my "I stopped smoking and drinking" fund. I may ask the pawn man if they would do that or me, maybe. I have pawned a few things at there, but got them back after a while, at there, from them. So, I think they might do that maybe. They told me , the last time I used them that the thing was payed off, even though it kind of was only almost of that. Maybe after the 3rd maybe .And thanks everyone for the replies and stuff too.

• Members

No, but in context it's clearly referring to the visual. Since "Aesthetics" is largely focused on art, which is primarily a visual medium, it's not wrong.

Seems to me you're defining blackface's context of the word with your understanding of what he meant. That's not what I got out of what he said.

Further, "aesthetics" is most definitely not "focused on art". Not in my world, anyway. Dictionaries kinda back me up on this too.

I didn't say anyone was wrong, buddy. It's a difference of opinion. Go easy ;)

• Members
Seems to me you're defining blackface's context of the word with your understanding of what he meant. That's not what I got out of what he said.

Further, "aesthetics" is most definitely not "focused on art". Not in my world, anyway. Dictionaries kinda back me up on this too.

I didn't say anyone was wrong, buddy. It's a difference of opinion. Go easy ;)

Here's the definition of "aesthetics":

1. (used with a sing. verb) a. The branch of philosophy that deals with the nature, expression, and perception of beauty, as in the fine arts.

b. The study of the psychological responses to beauty and artistic experiences.

2. (used with a sing. or pl. verb) a. A conception of what is artistically valid or beautiful: minimalist aesthetics.

b. An artistically beautiful or pleasing appearance

You'll notice a clear emphasis on the visual; i.e., "appearance." Blackface was clearly referring to appearance and I happen to agree.

• Members
I looked at a Martin' date=' there. That thing had a few dark marks in the top of it. I believe it was a thing named "bear claw", What is that ? Is that a kind of burl too maybe ? I do not know about that kind of thing on that too much, now.. [/quote']

Bear Claw affects the tone of a guitar is really the million dollar question and probably the one that most people worry about. Some people have found that heavily Bear Clawed pieces of wood tend to be stiffer and give a brighter sound.

Older trees tend to have more Bear Claw but also tend to just be stiffer in general, regardless of the amount of Bear Claw.

Some players and collectors really seem to hate Bear Claw, preferring their guitars to have “clean” tops. Others, myself included, appreciate Bear Claw, feeling that it gives the wood some character or personality and it’s not uncommon for custom built guitars with highly Bear Clawed tops to go for hundreds if not thousands more than less clawed pieces.

Which model is it?

I am a big fan of Martin guitars, not all of them, but a lot of them.

I have 3 Martins right now and I would like to add another one someday soon. It's not the best time of year to buy guitars. Manufacturers are gearing for NAMM. After NAMM is the big sell. They try to go high dollar.

So my next Martin will be either a 00028 or and OM 28, rosewood back and sides. Absolutely no cutaway.

I'll have a guy I know cherry pick a few for me, when the time comes.

• Members
I looked at a Martin' date=' there. That thing had a few dark marks in the top of it. I believe it was a thing named "bear claw", What is that ? Is that a kind of burl too maybe ? I do not know about that kind of thing on that too much, now.. [/quote']

They were probably just defects in the wood. A lot of low end Martins I've seen had poor looking wood. The more pristine looking stuff has been harvested or gets used in higher end models. The examples I've seen of "bear claw" had light markings like these rather than dark ones:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"B_Claw.jpg","data-attachmentid":32454631}[/ATTACH]

Some folks say "bear claw" spruce is desirable for its superior sonic character but you couldn't prove it by me. YMMV.

Archived