Show us your musical presents. You know you want to :)

Chordite

• Members

I'm beyond humbled, spoiled, and blown away by what my dad and sister chipped in on for me. I'm not sure why they felt they had to go all out like this and even writing this I'm touched that they did.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"dearmond_01.png","data-attachmentid":32426057}[/ATTACH]

This is a DeArmond Starfire, a Korean made version of the Guild model, made during the late 90s/Early 00s when Fender owned Guild. It's got the Goldtone USA pickups in it. It plays great. It's beautiful. I can find nary a flaw on it.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"dearmond_02.png","data-attachmentid":32426058}[/ATTACH]

Here you can see some of the wood grain through the finish. I'm curious if this roller bridge is original. I can't believe there isn't more tarnished hardware on this thing for a guitar of this age. Frets look like it's been forgotten in a closet somewhere.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"dearmond_03.png","data-attachmentid":32426059}[/ATTACH]

The one "flaw" I found is that the adhesive pad inside that held the wires to the top has come undone. No matter. I can't hear it rattle. Maybe someday I'll get ambitious and put new pots in it.

The guitar in and of itself was simply amazing. Like I said, not sure what I did to deserve it. I had actually shared the link to it on Facebook on Cyber Monday (I think) not because I thought someone should buy it for me, but because I know these guitars are one of those well kept secrets and this one was a pretty great deal for someone looking to upgrade their own gear or get a gift for someone else. Then my sister came walking down the hallway with this thing:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"marshall_haze40.png","data-attachmentid":32426060}[/ATTACH]This is a Marshall Haze 40 tube combo with onboard effects. I went in and picked up a Fender Champion 20 for a family friend and asked the salesmen some questions. My sister apparently went in the next day and said she wanted to get an amp for me based on what I said I liked while I was there (I was dismayed that we didn't get a nice tube amp for the family friend, but she doesn't play much and needs to be able to use a headphone jack in her apartment). The store is a local Mom & Pop place that is a Fender dealer, but apparently they used to be a Marshall dealer and this amp was NOS that my sister got a great deal on she said. It is the MHZ40C model, the C being somehow more desirable? 12" Celestion G12T-66, 3 ECC83 preamp tubes, 2 EL84 output, on board echo, chorus, and vibrato effects (on/off with footswitch, effect selected at chassis), 2-channel with boost and bright switches. When I saw my sister bring it out I kind of hoped it was a cheap knock off that someone put a Marshall logo on because she didn't need to go all out. I think the expectation is that I could keep an amp at my father's house so that he can hear me play when I visit and I can wail on it as loud as I like because he lives on 10 acres in the middle of nowhere. It probably isn't one I would have picked for myself (I'm pretty accustomed to my Peavey Classic 30 w/ upgrades), but I'm still super excited about it. Also, I haven't really put it through a proper test because I have three stitches in my left index finger at the moment and my neighbors are complainers.

• Members
I'm beyond humbled, spoiled, and blown away by what my dad and sister chipped in on for me. I'm not sure why they felt they had to go all out like this and even writing this I'm touched that they did. . . .

. . . Here you can see some of the wood grain through the finish. I'm curious if this roller bridge is original. I can't believe there isn't more tarnished hardware on this thing for a guitar of this age. Frets look like it's been forgotten in a closet somewhere. . . .

. . . The guitar in and of itself was simply amazing. Like I said, not sure what I did to deserve it. I had actually shared the link to it on Facebook on Cyber Monday (I think) not because I thought someone should buy it for me, but because I know these guitars are one of those well kept secrets and this one was a pretty great deal for someone looking to upgrade their own gear or get a gift for someone else. Then my sister came walking down the hallway with this thing: . . .

. . . It is the MHZ40C model, the C being somehow more desirable? . . . I haven't really put it through a proper test because I have three stitches in my left index finger at the moment and my neighbors are complainers.

Congratulations. Happy New Gear Day. You have a very generous family. I hope you appreciate them. From pics I've been able to find the roller bridge is not original. It's not really needed without a trem of some sort but it shouldn't hurt anything. AFAIK the "C" in the amp's model number just stands for "Combo" but I could easily be wrong. Let us know what you think once your finger heals.

• Members

How embarrassing! I didn't even notice the B string being off. Last night as I was looking at the guitar I felt something funny on one of the knobs. It was the original film from the chrome top that had never been removed.

I play more acoustic than electric. I've typically been a Strat guy. This year I picked up an Epiphone Dot that I absolutely love. A few months after that I really splurged and picked up a DeArmond M72. It didn't break the bank, but I felt it was a little extravagant because I already had a great playing electric with humbuckers. I still have my first electric, an Epiphone Strat copy, and I might replace some parts on it and make it a real player because I do miss having a Strat and that one has sentimental value.

• Members

Congratulations. Happy New Gear Day. You have a very generous family. I hope you appreciate them. From pics I've been able to find the roller bridge is not original. It's not really needed without a trem of some sort but it shouldn't hurt anything. AFAIK the "C" in the amp's model number just stands for "Combo" but I could easily be wrong. Let us know what you think once your finger heals.

I actually had the same thought that C just stands for combo and it was only the comment the dealer made to my sister that made me think otherwise. He couldn't remember the price and quoted the "non-C" price first and stuck with it when he discovered it was a C, or that's what she said. I think he was just happy to move out some old inventory.

It has some weird quirks. When the reverb and effects knobs are turned from zero there is an audible click that comes from within the amp.

I definitely appreciate my family. We lost my mom this year so my dad and sister are all I have from our original nuclear unit. My sister and I went in on tickets to see ELO for my dad and I thought that was a pretty big deal never knowing what they had in store for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I got a turntable to play records, and a couple of records to play on it (I already own hundreds of LPs, 'cause I'm an old goat). Got a re-issue of the Stones' "Let it Bleed" on clear vinyl. And for my birthday got Stevie Wonder's "Musicquarium" double-album, basically a greatest hits compilation.

I also got a $60 gift card to that big-box music store. I will probably spend that on buying acoustic foam for my sad little music room/studio.

Archived