dum question

crustoleum

• Members

besides using super glue stuff, what does 1 do to keep the input jack nut thing from un-tightening, and then having all that stuff become dislodged from where it is supposed to be, and when it happens, all that stuff falls into the body, then, and you can't get it ot of there, but and if you eventually do get it out, then, you can"t find the nut that holds everything together, then ? Does or has that ever happened to you ? maybe ? Did you fix that, somehow, properly ? maybe ? hmmm How?

• Members

I actually broke down and bought this thing

https://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Tools_by_Job/Tools_for_Electronics_and_Pickups/Jack_The_Gripper.html

It actually works. In fact, it often holds the jack so tightly that its hard to get the little cam to release.

When tightening acoustic guitar end pin jacks put a small allen wrench thru the little cross hole to hold it while you tighten the nut.

(may I rant here a minute about acoustic jacks that have the little strap button that screws on - there are no wrench flats so you need to use channel locks and that just scars them Come on, Fishman et al, give me a place to put a wrench)

• Members

I have used clear fingernail polish.Once the nut is secured tight use a drop where the nut and thread show. Now to do it a diffrent way is to use some rubber cement on the threads The reason I do it this way is so the Nut can be removed easy latter

• Moderators

first off...'there are no dum questions', as my Granny used to say...'just ignorant people'... not that I think you are ignorant, crustoleum...

Over the years I have used numerous types of thread seal, blue loctite, vibratite, glyptol, nail polish...what I use now is Avery glue stick on the threads before I tighten the nut. It keeps the nut in place, but the nut is still easily removable, and I can get the glue stick in a three pack at the 99 cent store for a buck.

• Members
first off...'there are no dum questions', as my Granny used to say...'just ignorant people'... not that I think you are ignorant, crustoleum...

Over the years I have used numerous types of thread seal, blue loctite, vibratite, glyptol, nail polish...what I use now is Avery glue stick on the threads before I tighten the nut. It keeps the nut in place, but the nut is still easily removable, and I can get the glue stick in a three pack at the 99 cent store for a buck.

Loctite has better tone :rolleyes:

Archived