A fun quiz - vintage, or relic'd?

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

I missed two but then you already know my opinion of relic. As far as I am concerned when someone "relics" their guitar they should take a hammer and bang on the frets (with string on, to make divots). They should pour some sand in the tuners, break the buttons off of a couple of them. Crack the nut, wiggle the pickup wires until they break inside the insulation. Tighten the truss rod until it breaks, loose a few screws (replace them with the wrong size), dump some vinegar into the pots to make them nice and scratchy. Cold solder a couple of joint. Smoke a joint, er, the case. Break the head off and glue it back with gorilla glue

Its one thing to take a nice guitar and make it look like a piece of poop, the true relicer makes it a true piece of poop. Oh, then bring it to me and complain that it buzzes....

• Members
I missed two but then you already know my opinion of relic. As far as I am concerned when someone "relics" their guitar they should take a hammer and bang on the frets (with string on, to make divots). They should pour some sand in the tuners, break the buttons off of a couple of them. Crack the nut, wiggle the pickup wires until they break inside the insulation. Tighten the truss rod until it breaks, loose a few screws (replace them with the wrong size), dump some vinegar into the pots to make them nice and scratchy. Cold solder a couple of joint. Smoke a joint, er, the case. Break the head off and glue it back with gorilla glue

Its one thing to take a nice guitar and make it look like a piece of poop, the true relicer makes it a true piece of poop. Oh, then bring it to me and complain that it buzzes....

Pretty fragile ego there.

• Members
I dropped 3 of them

In my defence some people must use picks in truly bizarre, ways like the little oval patch under the Epi Zephyr pickguard that just looks completely fake to me.

maybe they were trying to make it look like Wes played it for a couple of years...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"wes.jpg","data-attachmentid":32408953}[/ATTACH]

• Members

I never answered the first one,All I could think of was how to repair it

But how about this Relicing a vintage

He did a fantastic job repairing the butchery on a 53 tele and a great job refinishing it with rattle cans but. I cringed when he aged the finish to look like a 53

[video=youtube_share;CUUuMzxJ9h8]

• Members

started good, but failed with the accoustic and then i thought they were the real thing and not the custom shop signature models... so i got only 3 right.

i don't care about relicing, i would not buy a relic'ed guitar, but if one does i don't mind.

but i do love the look of play wear, if it is real.

a guitar which shows that it was played and used and loved has lots of character

a heavy used maple fretboard on a strat looks sexy to me...

i don't mind dings or battle scars, yes i do like the look of a brand new shiny guitar without a flaw.

but i have my guitars for playing and not for polishing...

i really want to play my strat(s) until they show play wear on the fretboard, but as i have not the time to play them eight hours a day and by the quality of the finish the necks have, it will take ages until they will show some wear....

• Members

A luthier friend of mine was given an all original '54 Les Paul Custom that had the neck cleanly removed. I'm guessing that the original neck had been broken.

He borrowed another Les Paul to use as a template and built a neck from scratch and did a fine job of it. He put the frets in over the binding which, from what Inunderstand, is an accepted way of re-fretting a Gibson.

When he re-assembled the guitar the neck looked "too new" for the old body. I was in the shop when he reliced the neck he had built and it was very difficult for me to watch. IIRC there was a screwdriver and a chain involved.

He took it to a guitar shop and had the proprietor look it over. After careful inspection the guy said "you know, its been re-fretted." At that point, my friend fessed up and told him the story.

I believe Dan Erlewine did a story on the project, complete with pictures, but I have been unable to find it.

7/8 [h=1]Result: 87%[/h]

I the one that got me was the 52 Les Paul Gold Top.

The bridge and tailpiece must have been replaced as it just to clean and shiny.

Believe me you, I know grit and wear on chrome.

I have a good friend with an original '52 Goldtop, so that one didn't really throw me - but I can see how it might. In stock form, they had a trapeze tailpiece, and looked like this:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"800px-Gibson_Les_Paul_1953.jpg","data-attachmentid":32410204}[/ATTACH]

However, many of them (including my friend's) have been modified and now have a stop tailpiece with a tune-o-matic bridge - which is a much better setup than what they originally came with. The one on Reverb has had that modification done to it... here's the picture they used:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 9.52.19 AM.png","data-attachmentid":32410205}[/ATTACH]

So yes, you're right - the bridge and tailpiece on the one they showed are definitely not stock.

• Moderators

although I am fervently anti-relic-ing instruments, one of my proteges begged me for months to sell him the original Fender case from my '75 Strat because it was, well, beat to crap after 40 years of gigging all over So Cal. I told him the only way he was getting that case was to replace it with a Fender tweed case...and he did! What he didn't know was that I had an ATA roadcase for the Strat, and the case he gave me went to my thinline Tele, which was living in the strat case at the time.....he was happy, I was happy...

as for the test, 6/8, but it would have been much more fair to have seen the entire guitar, not just the body.

I also should note that there is a difference between relic-ing and aging guitars, parts etc. We used to 'age' acoustic guitars by exposing them to a mix of direct sunlight and UV light in order to 'darken' the spruce tops to look older. We didn't do anything physical to the guitars. I know some people who have done similar treatments to maple necks.

ME? Never...I only abused a couple of guitars, in my youth, the first was a Teisco I had in highschool that I hated the upper horn so much I carved it down by hand to match the lower horn [almost like an SG] and then rattle-canned it to match the original color [pretty close, anyway ;)].

• Members

I also should note that there is a difference between relic-ing and aging guitars, parts etc. We used to 'age' acoustic guitars by exposing them to a mix of direct sunlight and UV light in order to 'darken' the spruce tops to look older. We didn't do anything physical to the guitars. I know some people who have done similar treatments to maple necks...

I've done that sort of thing to a couple of brand new maple necks that just seemed too light.

When I bought my JV Strat in 1982 it was too shiny for a '57 so I took some fine steel wool to it to remove the gloss.That was before it got stolen and had the ******** beat out of it before I got it back. It was so badly beaten that I suspected it was used as a prop by the thieves - talk about reliced.

I decided to strip the finish completely and stain it, which reduced the collector value but also made it a better guitar. Apperantly the original FujiGen JV Fenders with the spaghetti logo are worth a chunk of change now but I don't think I'll ever sell it.

It was my 'Number One' for twenty-five years.

Archived