Collapse
No announcement yet.

A fun quiz - vintage, or relic'd?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

although I am fervently anti-relic-ing instruments, one of my proteges begged me for months to sell him the original Fender case from my '75 Strat because it was, well, beat to crap after 40 years of gigging all over So Cal. I told him the only way he was getting that case was to replace it with a Fender tweed case...and he did! What he didn't know was that I had an ATA roadcase for the Strat, and the case he gave me went to my thinline Tele, which was living in the strat case at the time.....he was happy, I was happy...
    as for the test, 6/8, but it would have been much more fair to have seen the entire guitar, not just the body.
    I also should note that there is a difference between relic-ing and aging guitars, parts etc. We used to 'age' acoustic guitars by exposing them to a mix of direct sunlight and UV light in order to 'darken' the spruce tops to look older. We didn't do anything physical to the guitars. I know some people who have done similar treatments to maple necks.
    ME? Never...I only abused a couple of guitars, in my youth, the first was a Teisco I had in highschool that I hated the upper horn so much I carved it down by hand to match the lower horn [almost like an SG] and then rattle-canned it to match the original color [pretty close, anyway ].
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
      I also should note that there is a difference between relic-ing and aging guitars, parts etc. We used to 'age' acoustic guitars by exposing them to a mix of direct sunlight and UV light in order to 'darken' the spruce tops to look older. We didn't do anything physical to the guitars. I know some people who have done similar treatments to maple necks...
      I've done that sort of thing to a couple of brand new maple necks that just seemed too light.

When I bought my JV Strat in 1982 it was too shiny for a '57 so I took some fine steel wool to it to remove the gloss.That was before it got stolen and had the ******** beat out of it before I got it back. It was so badly beaten that I suspected it was used as a prop by the thieves - talk about reliced.

I decided to strip the finish completely and stain it, which reduced the collector value but also made it a better guitar. Apperantly the original FujiGen JV Fenders with the spaghetti logo are worth a chunk of change now but I don't think I'll ever sell it.

It was my 'Number One' for twenty-five years.

Last edited by onelife; 12-05-2018, 10:04 PM.
      "Isn't it a pity, isn't it a shame,
      how we break each other's hearts
      and cause each other pain"

Comment

I have to agree with you onelife - the stuff that was being made by Fender Japan in the 80s was really nice. Do you have a picture of your JV Strat in its current state?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
        - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
        - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post
          I have to agree with you onelife - the stuff that was being made by Fender Japan in the 80s was really nice. Do you have a picture of your JV Strat in its current state?
          He doesn't live in the States, Phil---he's a Canuckistani
          Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
          Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read
          -Groucho Marx

Comment

Working...
        X