Pot choice

Chordite

• Members

Hopefully a simple one

Tone pot has gone on my trusty old encore strat copy. I haven' t opened it yet. Thinking I might as well change the works, ordering 3 pots and 5-way.

People say rightly or wrongly that pots effect tone even zeroed (tone sharpest, volume maxed) . I don't know how true that is.

If so which will give the softer jazzier tone 500k or 250k?

• Members

Wow. You'll never guess what I thought of when I first saw the word "Pot," LOL.

250K absolutely. A guitar pickup has a peak at 3 or 4 KHz and a higher value pot will accentuate the peak more. It will also roll off the treble at a lower frequency when you engage the tone control.

• Members

As others have said, 250K matches with single coils. My feeling is that there is little difference in the quality of any of the good domestic manufactures, other have strong feelings about things like that. Be aware that potentiometers come with different shaft lengths and configurations (splined/split for push on knobs, solid for set screw). Also, you do not want linear taper, be sure they are logarithmic ("audio taper")

For a good understanding of your guitars controls (and a lot of myths) go down about half way and start watching the vids

http://www.annarborguitars.com/styled-4/index.html

• Moderators

Being a HSS configuration, there are other options like coil tapping the humbucker via a push/pull pot...also, is one of the single coil p-ups [typically the mid position] reverse wound?

Before you run out to the electronics shop, pull the pickguard and look at the existing pots and wiring. It is possible that the volume control is a 500k for the humbucker...which opens up a small can of worms about the bleed cap values to keep the single coils from dumping too much treble as the volume pot is rolled off...but as you are looking for a 'darker' [jazzier] tone, that may work in your favor...

Simple question, many answers...:wave:

• Members

If you're doing that much to it I'd also stick a treble bleed capacitor+resistor (Stewmac sells them pre-wired for convenience) and put a push/push pot on the tone control that turns the bridge pickup on no matter what the blade switch is on. That gives the Neck+Bridge option which has a nice Tele sound to it.

Archived