Can't adjust intonation / Gibson SG Standard

Dragon-Ash

• Members

I have a SG Standard with a chrome Tune-o-Matic and stop bar tail piece. The intonation is off for the A and D strings, with the note at the 12th fret playing sharp.

On other guitars I've had, it was easy to adjust the saddle back or forth with a standard flat screwdriver. The saddle can't be adjusted with a screwdriver on this Gibson, however. The screw head is circular and indented, almost like you'd need a hex (Allen) key, but I have a full set, and none of them work.

I'm at a loss as to how to adjust the saddle back and forth. Any suggestions?

78baa9ff25a7e77462d6cb61e88d5eb8.thumb.jpg.d46659c684adc64c38767de858f09b73.jpg

• Members

If everything else about the saddles works to your satisfaction, you really should be able to detune and take the string off the saddle. Then, there should be very minimal friction and you should be able to turn it with something like a small flat head screwdriver or anything that can grab the inside walls.

If they are still difficult to turn, I would then PUNT and replace.

• Members

Ah ha, I think I found it.

It's actually an allen head screw. IT was very difficult to tell in the pic, as it looks like a torx head.

Might be this.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/bridge-and-tailpieces/nashville-bridges/pinnacle-tune-o-matic-nashville-bridge-fits-usa-gibson-guitars/

It would be nice to see the top of the bridge thumb screws.

• Members
Ah ha, I think I found it.

It's actually an allen head screw. IT was very difficult to tell in the pic, as it looks like a torx head.

Might be this.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/bridge-and-tailpieces/nashville-bridges/pinnacle-tune-o-matic-nashville-bridge-fits-usa-gibson-guitars/

It would be nice to see the top of the bridge thumb screws.

Okay, I've bought nut files from Philadelphia Luthier Tools. They sell decent stuff. The OP should be fine once he gets hold of the right tools.

• Members

Probably all you need is either metric or inch hex wrenches. If you have inch and they don't fit then you likely need metric (or vice versa)

I've never seen those on an actual Gibson or Epiphone either. The bridge is likely a replacement is its an actual Gibson.

You'd probably be better off getting an original bridge over a generic. I've tried just about every TOM bridge out there on builds and there is a tone of junk coming out of china these days. The metal is soft and strips out easily and the tone some of the cheaper bridges produce isn't very good.

For replacements, the Gotoh are probably the best made. The steel is a bit bright but the saddles and screws have no extra schlock which makes for accurate intonation. Gibson on the other hand uses allot of zinc in their bridge and tail piece parts which gives them their distinct tone. Saddles are often chrome covered brass which adds to the warmer tone too. I've tried many substitute bridges on Gibsons and haven't found any that replicate the tone of an original Gibson bridge. Solid steel like the Gotoh is definitely more durable. I've used Shaller too which makes their hardware from high quality German Steel. Steel simply lacks the warmth of the Zink/Steel and brass Gibson uses. Unfortunately the Gibson stuff does age and wear quickly. I rarely get more then 10 years out of their TOM bridges before they become worn and ugly.

Archived