Overrated lead guitarists

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

Jack White heads the list for me. How he is considered some sort of "god" escapes me. Average player, with crappy sounding guitars, that were crappy guitars when they were new.

Joe Bonamasso, or however you spell his name. Yeah, he has chops, has an OK tone, but he wants to be Gary Moore when he grows up. Ain't gonna happen Joey.

I can't stomach anything Slash related. I respect his playing, his tone, but what he does, has been done to death before.

I'm going to toss out one that will no doubt get some negative feedback, but I sincerely believe that Neil Young is overrated. His tone is generally shrill and way too bright, and his playing, which many consider to be raw and emotion-filled, just strikes me as sloppy. I love his songwriting though, and I like his acoustic playing - but his electric playing, and especially his solos (with the possible exception of Cinnamon Girl), just don't do it for me. YMMV.

• Members

i dig jack white not because of his guitar playing, but because of his song writing arrangement and composing thing...

fully agree on joe bonamassa, to me just a white rich kid who is a guitar maniac, who has chops and techniqe but has no soul in his playing, and playin tha bluez withouta souls means nothin to me....

slash is slash, i'm not a fanboy of him, but he is part of my youth, for whatever that means....

i know people will stone me, but i do not get the admiration of stevie ray vaughn, yes excellent player, died too young, but i do not get what is so special about him, why people do compare him so often to hendrix when to me he sounds just a hendrix knock off or imitator...

for you to understand, i'm not a big fan of the whole texas blues scene either, i'm more the chicago, detroit, muddy waters john lee hooker chess record guy

and phil why do you ask in the first place? do you want generate a forum fight about different tastes and preferences? feeding some trolls?

in good ol' days such question would have generated pages of a flame war where moderators needed to shut down the thread for keeping the peace, but never a moderator would have started it :D

• Members
I don't think Neil Young is overrated as a lead player. He just isn't a lead guitarist full stop and he should stop punishing people with his guitar strangling.

i love neil young because he is neil f***ing young man... don't care about his guitar skills, but i care about his passion... maybe because he has more passion than me and even more so guitar skills ;)

• Members

Jack White for sure. I don't have a problem with him, he can do whatever he wants and how people react to him isn't his fault. When people put him in a class with people like Jimmy Page that's disturbing to me. I really don't think there's one single thing he can do on a guitar or otherwise that Jimmy Page isn't way better at.

Joe Bonamassa is a decent guitar player, but I think his d-bag personality just turns people off and they call him overrated.

I like Neil's acoustic work better than his electric playing.

Me too. By a considerable margin. Like I said before, I think he's a great songwriter too. I certainly don't hate Neil - I am just not a fan of his lead guitar playing.

Stephen Stills' lead playing never did much for me either.

• Members

Me too. By a considerable margin. Like I said before, I think he's a great songwriter too. I certainly don't hate Neil - I am just not a fan of his lead guitar playing.

Stephen Stills' lead playing never did much for me either.

Now you're just talking nonsense. I didn't take you to task over Neil; I stipulate that he's a, shall we say, "special" case. But Steve Stills can stand with just about anybody.

I know, I know---it's all opinion. It's just that yours is wrong.

*mumblegrumbleFART*

Now you're just talking nonsense. I didn't take you to task over Neil; I stipulate that he's a, shall we say, "special" case. But Steve Stills can stand with just about anybody.

I know, I know---it's all opinion. It's just that yours is wrong.

*mumblegrumbleFART*

Can you give me an example of a couple of great Stephen Stills guitar solos?

Archived