Spaltcaster twins finished w. some help from Maestro Keller w. pics!

6down1togo

• Members

Longest assembly process in history but finally done. Many setbacks … necks ordered unfinished arrived lacquered in pumpkin orange tint and I had to strip and refinish. Neck heel was wider than normal so had to enlarge the neck pockets. Had a local "luthier" with a drill press drill for string through, he did me a favor and mounted the tuners on the Strat and drilled through the face of the headstock. Had to route reliefs in the Strat body for clearance for the CTS pots, apparently the control cavity was routed narrow for mini-pots. I amassed the world's largest collection of Strat and Tele pickguards having tried black multi-ply, black single-ply (used a sharpie on the edge of the multi-ply guards), cream, vintage white, tortoise and assorted spalted maple versions before finding my way to the walnut which Freeman Keller enabled with his veneering skills after my 3 failed attempts to DIY the headstock veneer.

Spalted maple/ash bodies with bound maple/rosewood necks. Walnut headstock and pickguard veneer. Faux finishing on Strat pickup covers and switch tip (Behlen's dark Walnut lacquer toner/crumpled saran wrap grain pattern). Zebrawood Knobs on the Strat.All Fender hardware and electronics (CTS, Oak Grigsby) w. Tex-Mex pickups in both guitars.

Need to set up and string and listen to them sing. All in all I am really happy with them.

Many thanks to HCEG's own Freeman Keller for the veneer headstocks and pickguards.

The Pics are a couple posts down …

• Members

5 pic limit. I fall for it every time.

The Tele:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"GKgoZo.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386633}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"pbdthJ.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386634}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"ACLJ3Q.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386636}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"bY4yyC.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386635}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"L6YepU.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386637}[/ATTACH]

• Members

The Strat:

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"EhmCDO.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386655}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"2PEQu6.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386656}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"dgGovH.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386657}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"QoKC3M.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386658}[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"dnHtGt.jpg","data-attachmentid":32386659}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Lovely. I wouldn't expect to like either guitar, especially the Tele, but they turned out great. The big block position markers aren't to my taste but that's a minor quibble. And the Strat is a hardtail (now if it just had humbuckers or maybe rails instead of regular Strat pickups... ;)). Good on you all around. :thu:

• Members
They came out really good. Those damn pick guards just refused to lay still.

ps - you may see some of that veneer again one of these days

Thanks Freeman!

Yeah, the pickguard "cores" I bought for $10.00 from a Chinese vendor … what could go wrong? Lol Your veneer work was beautiful though.

Looking forward to seeing that veneer on your forthcoming project!

• Members

First impression: too many different colors/grain patterns, too "busy", don't like (so shut up and don't be a dick).

Then I looked again.

And again.

Danged if they didn't grow on me!

Revised impression: fascinating, like quite a lot. Maybe not something I would build, but still very nice.

:thu:

Archived