No announcement yet.

A chambered tele-ish sort of thing

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beautiful, Freeman.

I see you made two control cavity covers---looks like one 'hog and one flamed maple. Good idea!

I sure hope that isn't one of Mrs. Keller's good hand towels
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read
    -Groucho Marx

Comment

While I patiently wait for the finish to cure I though I would go ahead and do the frets. I've got several leveling beams - most of them have 120 on one side and 300 or 400 on the other. Started by filing the ends back to the edge of the f/b at 50 or 60 degrees. Then marked the crowns and leveled them

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4789.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	32404930

Recrowned as required

Name:	IMG_4790.jpg
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	32404931

Knocked the edges off the ends. The little metal thing is a draft persons eraser shield - in another life I was an engineer

Name:	IMG_4791.jpg
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	32404932

Polished up thru the grits starting at 400 and going to 2000. The little white thing is an ordinary eraser - its a good way to hold the paper. I also wrap it over the edge of a crowning file and use it just like the file - you can see the marks on the fine paper.

Name:	IMG_4792.jpg
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	32404933

I'll come back to it during the setup phase but this is OK for now

Name:	IMG_4796.jpg
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	32404934

Comment

Some of the most tedious, yet most satisfying, guitar work to be done.

I messed up a lot of fretwork before I finally became satisfied with my results.

Cheers, Freeman, keep it coming
        -Groucho Marx

Comment

• Freeman Keller
          Freeman Keller commented
          Editing a comment
          Frets are the interface between the player and the guitar. They area also the key to perfect playability.

• Danocoustic
          Danocoustic commented
          Editing a comment
          Tell me when you reach "perfect". I've settled for "pretty damned good".

OK, I have two weeks on the finish cure and its raining out so its time to buff it out, Here is a close up of the top finish, you can see that its kind of shiny but also kind of rough. Some dust, a couple of little sags - not a bad paint job for a novice. A little dimple right at at the edge. I figured it was good enough to start sanding at 800 and go up to 1500.

Name:	IMG_4802.jpg
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	32407880

Here is the top after wet sanding

Name:	IMG_4805.jpg
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	32407884

Buffed with Meguiers number 2 and 3, mostly using my crappy pedestal buffer but doing the edges and horn with a foam pad in a drill motor

Name:	IMG_4808.jpg
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	32407881

Here's the top and head after buffing

Name:	IMG_4809.jpg
Size:	183.5 KB
ID:	32407883

and the back

Name:	IMG_4810.jpg
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	32407882

Time to start building this puppy up

Comment

That's coming along quite nicely. Every time I say I don't like Teles, or that I think they're butt ugly, another one comes along to change my mind. It figures one of yours would be do same.
          Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
          Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
          Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
          Member of the Schecter Society
          Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

It is a beautiful beasty, that at first I thought.. "What, no F hole?? Really???" Then as she progressed, the simple elegance of the top showed. Again, a breathtaking piece of work Freeman.
            My Music: www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=440762
            Some of my guitars: 64 or so Domino Beatle bass; 73 Ibanez 2398; 79 Epiphone Genesis; 79 Manoman; 99 Ric 330; 78 Gibson L6S; 95 Ibanez JS-700; 04 Samick Lasalle JZ3: 05 Ibanez AS73; 81 Paul Custom, 07 Gary Kramer Simulator T and about 50 others.

Comment

Thanks for the nice comments. Today I soldered down the remaining wires and screwed the shiny bits on it. Made a nut

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4811.jpg Views:	1 Size:	127.5 KB ID:	32408337

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4814.jpg Views:	1 Size:	158.0 KB ID:	32408339

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4817.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.3 KB ID:	32408340
              Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4818.jpg Views:	1 Size:	138.4 KB ID:	32408341
              I know, you've seen all that before. Sorry, it has to be done each time..

Attached Files
              Last edited by Freeman Keller; 12-02-2018, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Since I can only put five pictures in a post, here is the nut mostly made

Name:	IMG_4819.jpg
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	32408351

Its still a little on the high side but its much easier to take it down than up.

Did the rest of the initial setup - tension pulled about 5 thousands of relief, I backed that off a hair. First fret is 18 to 20 thou, 12th is 60 to 80. Intonation is pretty close so I'll play it this way and tweak it in few days.

Took it in the house and introduced it to Lester

Name:	IMG_4820.jpg
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	32408352

Name:	IMG_4821.jpg
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	32408353
                I'll do some better pictures in a day or two, right now I just want to play with my new toy.

Comment

Quite nice indeed. I just realized (again) that a big part of the general butt ugly-ness I find in Teles is the control plate. Yours would be much the worse with one added.
                  Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
                  Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
                  Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
                  Member of the Schecter Society
                  Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Woo hoo!

That's a real beauty! Amazing to watch it come together like that.

Comment

incredible work , I've ben eagerly followng every step Thank you for taking the time to document and share the process .I am truely envious of your skill. It really is a work of art
                      But ,it's like a lady once told me "show just enough to make them look and hide enough to keep them guessing because the mystery is most enticing" I'm in the minority opinion here but I think a telecaster without some sort of pickgaurd or something is still a generic slab of wood no matter how nicely done
                      Hate on me all you want but it's my opinion

Comment

• Grant Harding
                        Grant Harding commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm really considering putting a clear one on the Barncaster because I'm playing it so much and the soft pine is starting to show some wear. I'd happily let it relic to the max, but I know how you feel about that.

• t_e_l_e
                        t_e_l_e commented
                        Editing a comment
                        you are not the only one, who thinks witthout a pickguards its looks kinda naked...

still great work and piece of art, but not exactly what my taste prefers

• DeepEnd
                        DeepEnd commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I can take or leave the pickguard as long as there's no control plate but I do like the look sans pickguard. My Schecter doesn't have one and I neither need nor want one on it.

Man oh man is that ever pretty! Incredible workmanship there and I love the top sans pickguard. Too pretty to cover up!

Comment

Shoulda painted it flat black
                        -Groucho Marx

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
                          Phil O'Keefe commented
                          Editing a comment
                          But he didn't - so there!

But the biggest question is how does it play
                        Do you notice a tonal difference with the chambered body

Comment

Originally posted by gardo View Post
                          But the biggest question is how does it play
                          Do you notice a tonal difference with the chambered body
                          This first thing you notice when you pick this puppy up is just how incredibly light it actually is. It weighs 5 lb 13 oz on my postage scale - my hollow arch top is 6 lb 8, the chambered LP thing is 7 lb 10, my solid Lester is 9 lb 3. I'm tempted to take the scale down to the music store to weigh a "real" tele.

Second thing I notice when comparing to the LP is that unplugged it has a lot more "acoustic" presence. Neither one sounds good unplugged, but the tele seems considerably louder. We could speculate all day how that affects the plugged sound, and of course there are so many differences between them that the point is moot - but something for sure is moving a little bit more air.

The ergonomics seem fine - I like the neck shape (remember its based on a LP), the fret board is 12 inch and just a hair wider than most tele. I do notice the flat body - I'm used to angled necks and curved tops.

How does it sound plugged? It sounds like a tele, at least what I think a tele should sound like. Remember, I'm not an electric player, I've only rarely played other telecasters (and mostly those were ones that I built). Remember too that these are pretty generic pickups - I happened to have two StewMac "golden age" pups - I bought them for something else and so thats what I used ). I've used these in a couple of the barncasters and people seem to like them so for right now I'll leave them in. (Grant will be really disappointed, I promise one of these days to order a set from Fralin.....

With both my LP clone and the jazz guitar I tend to play thru my home made tube amp with no effects - just pure and clean. I play more on the neck pickup too - I've become spoiled by the lush sounds. The tele I've plugged into a cheap Fender practice amp that has a bunch of different "voices" - it seems to prefer just a little clipping. I don't know much about effects but I have a multi effect thing that I may experiment with. I'm way too old to be a shredder.

So, short story, I like the way it sounds, it will supplement my other two electrics rather than replacing them. I certainly am sold on the whole idea of chambering - both the chambered LP and this convince me it is worth while. I like the woods and finish, altho I'll admit that its a little more than I expect of a telecaster.

Final note, I always do a spreadsheet of the costs just for my records. This was kind of interesting - every thing involved came out of my stock. Sure, I bought it some time but the records are lost and it was basically like building for free. I bought two sticks of fret wire but didn't use them, a quart of lacquer and a 30 dollar gig bag. Maybe I need to look in boxes under the work bench more often.

Comment

• Grant Harding
                            Grant Harding commented
                            Editing a comment
                            For the record, the Fralins have been replaced with TV Jones Starwood Tele set and it just came alive. I knew when I ordered the Fralins that they were really low output by design. While they sounded really good, the TV Jones are more what I want.

• Freeman Keller
                            Freeman Keller commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Good thing I waited, eh?

• Grant Harding
                            Grant Harding commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I'm still a huge Fralin fan. His Blues Special set is what that guitar wants, but decided to try the TV Jones.
                        Working...
                        X