Incidentally,

1001gear

• Members

I heard is was either "standard guitar" or "solid guitar". I heard this was to differentiate it from the Les Paul models, however I think that Paul endorsed the SG for a while.

Gibson has had some weird nomenclature over the years. ES is "electric spanish" meaning it is designed to be plugged in and played in the normal (Spanish) style as opposed to lap or Hawaiian style).

• Members

All fun aside, I tend to feel like there's no guitar that looks more alluring than a nice flame top LP, but I also feel like there's no Gibson that sounds better than its homely cousin, the SG. But that's only if it has some mellow PAFs or P-90s. I'm an odd man out in that I'm not a big lover of the harder 498T

• Members

wikipedia said it was the Les Paul SG once it was introduced, les paul was not involved in the development and the endorsment deal with him was canceled around '62, one reason should have been, his divorce and that i he didn't want to share the loyalties... and from that on it was only SG...

but thats only wikipedia (english and german version slightly differ) and i have not verified their sources, nor have searched for different ones...

• Members

As far as wearing one, here's a possibility courtesy of "The Big Bang Theory":

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"Bert_SG.jpg","data-attachmentid":32370712}[/ATTACH]

Us acoustic guys have been doing it that way for ages. ;)

Archived