Why do you get rid of guitars?

Chordite

• Members

There is much emphasis on what to buy but much less discussion of the criteria to sell a guitar.

I have about a dozen and want to get that down to maybe five. Easy to say but much harder when you line em up to decide who is for the chop. (I don't have the space to keep everyone, and there's also ten keyboards vying for space)

What parameters do you use?

How often you play them? effective duplications? Realism like I 'might' need that tone one day but you never do like the Yamaha FG or the Jackson Dinky that is a fine little guitar but sits in it's case?

• Members

I also have been thinking about down sizing. 40 guitars are a lot and I don't use some very much.Live I have maybe 5 I use a lot, in the studio another 5-10.Than I have guitars I just can't bring myself to part with (EDS1275 ,ES355, 2 Firebirds Jacksons Soloist ,Schons and a few others. My RD Artist and a few Charvels and a handful that I have not bonded with as well as the rest. The reason I don't just sell is the regret I have for selling the Great Guitars I had to when I was broke and younger (Strats like 56 Lavender a 60 Mary Kay and a 55 Blonde hard tail , and the hundreds of other guitars over the Years)

• Members

I don't see it so much as "getting rid of" as "passing them on". I see them somewhat like children (I don't have any, BTW). Want them to go to a better place. I actually feel sorry for the gits that don't get so much play time.... I live in Thailand and strings rust and blow off in a few weeks... so, being cheap, only have a few strung up at any given time, plus there are space considerations (I live in small condo).

I've only sold a few over the years, usually just give them away... Thai bud at beach got my tele thinline, grandnephew (who is studying music at uni & has more talent) got my Guild Starfire IV, Breedlove acoustic, Hagstrom, amps, etc. I wish I'd had those when I was young, so bit of "do unto others' there. Various other friends have gotten gits also.

Giving them away also allows I might get back later: my fave acoustic, a Tacoma jumbo, came back later (a bit worse for wear... wrong size plastic nut. I do my own maintenance here). Found simple way to adjust neck angle & now fave acoustic... but I digress

Ones I do keep tend to cover waterfront as to types: solid, semi & full hollowbody, all sorts of pickup combos & couple electrics with piezo under saddles... no 12 strings due to string blow outs. Parlor, nylon classical, concert, resonator, dread and jumbo for acoustic.

Almost sad to not need any more.... I know I could always get another for the heck of it...which I probably will...

• Moderators

There have been a few times in the last thirtyfive years of my life when financial considerations outweighed my hoarding instincts and I sold off some gear. When I bought my first house, I sold my 1940s Slingerland 6 string banjo to cover some of the ancillary costs. When I was renovating my home studio, I sold off some pedals and my Thomas 2-tier organ with built in Leslie. When I was about to miss a child support payment, I sold my Rickenbacker. Recently, in order to finance a different amp, I sold an amp I was not thrilled with [as it turned out, I'm not too thrilled with the replacement either :facepalm: ].

I toy with the idea of 'thinning the herd' [13 electrics, 6 acoustics, plus 2 lap steels, 3 ukeleles and an electric violin; 15 amps and 25 pedals, 2 keyboards, a full PA, mics, lights, and so on] every few weeks...but absent a pressing need, nothing happens, in fact I just added another electric guitar this month. There are certainly a number of instruments that I could do without, and a couple that I feel have earned the right to be retired after over 40 years of service [gigging]...all my gear purchases since 1976 were financed by gig and repair work earnings...so they've paid their way into the family.

What would I let go of? A SG from the Norlin era, Sam Ash resonator, Stratocoustic, a couple of amps [Crate, Epi, Harmony] a modified tele copy...some pedals..some vintage pedals [Mutron III, Big Muff Pi]...but I am not feeling the need... at the moment.

Next year we are planning to downsize our house after my formal retirement, and storage space for all this gear may be at a premium...we shall see...

• Members

I sold off about 15 over the last year. (Down to about 63 right now. No, I haven't counted.) Reasons being:

1) Just haven't played them enough over the last year to justify keeping them.

2) Developed arthritis to the point I can't gig anymore. (It feels fine while playing, next morning, can't pick up a spoon to stir my coffee, nor open my hand to hold the cup. AND coffee tastes like crap thru a straw.)

3) Financially, the extra income is nice.

Only issue now is, trying to decide what's next on the chopping block.

• Members

Next year we are planning to downsize our house after my formal retirement, and storage space for all this gear may be at a premium...we shall see...

A dozen or so years ago we went from a hundred year old 2700 sq ft house to a hundred year old 1600 sq ft house. But we also went from a crowded two car garage to one that will hold four plus a couple of motor bikes and my shop! Ms K swears that as I walked thru the house I was kind of ambivalent but when I saw the garage the deal was done. Its also got a dedicated "music room" with enough space for all the guitar cases.

As far as getting rid of guitars, some times I build one with the whole idea that I'll give it away or sell it for the price of materials, sometimes I end up keeping those. I have a couple of old ones that I should get rid of but they keep going up in value - my kids will have to deal with them. Got a guy who wants to buy the 00 and another bugging me to sell him the archtop - I just can't part with them. In fact, I think I need to play both tonight.

• Members

bummer arthritis situation. maybe try soaking hand in hot water (or cold?, who knows?) before/after? Maybe electric massager? Dunno. My hand is fine, just brain doesn't work so well learning/remembering... give you a hand...

• Members

i need to make clear, i only have 12 guitars (3 accoustic and 9 electric), 4 tube amps (3 combos, one head and 2x12cab), 4 solid state amps, where one is the small pignose battery amp and a marshall ms-2, and around 25+ pedals (have stopped counting)...

so personally my hording situation is not that bad, at least what i say, my SO might think differently, but than i show her your posts :)

• Members

(I started a thread on arthritis a couple of years back but it got deleted along with a years worth of other posts.)

I was getting resigned to it but then tried daily Cod Liver Oil. After a week things were a lot better. I can play, mostly barre for a couple of hours now without pain next day and as a bonus my pinky has stopped clicking like a frog clicker. So definitely give it a try and report back.

Another thing which will help if you do a lot of property work is to buy an electric screwdriver, most people have one now and they save a lot of strain on the hands.

• Moderators

we went from a 1600sf to what we are in now, a 3500sf place [5bdr, 4 bth, office, bkfst nk, pool]...looking to go to around 2000sf, and no pool. I don't use the 'office' hardly at all [my wine 'collection' is in there, such as

it is]...too much wasted space.

• Moderators

MommaMAck gave me the 'stinkeye' a couple years ago when my hard cases no longer all fit into one closet...there are guitars all over the house, but the cases stay in one place and they can kind of fit in the closet, but when I get the case for the new D'Angelico, there will be no room at the inn for that case...looking for a manger now ;)

• Members

I've sold a couple of acoustics, traded one, and sold one electric. I sold my second acoustic because I'd replaced it and didn't need it. I traded my third (steel string) acoustic for a classical after I switched to a 12-string. The classical was a POS and I ended up pitching it during a move. The 12-string sits in the case but our daughter expects to inherit it. I sold my first electric because it wouldn't intonate and because I'm just not a Strat guy. I sold my first amp after I bought one with more Wattage. I currently have a 65 Watt SS amp I don't use that really should find a new home. So, I get rid of some stuff and some I keep. I guess basically I get rid of gear that doesn't meet a need.

• Members

I need to thin the herd. My house isn't that big but my guitar collection is. Sometimes I think of a guitar that I want to play, then see that it's blocked by other gear, then I have to convince myself that a closer guitar is the one I want to play. smiley-embbarrassed

I used to sell guitars to help fund the purchase of other guitars, but I'd almost always regret it later. Now I try to just save up and get what I really want to begin with, and hold on to them... but if I had to sell some guitars, I'd take several things into account in terms of trying to decide which ones to sell...

1. Does it get played a lot, or is it a case queen?

2. Can other guitars in the herd get the same or very similar sounds?

3. How hard would it be to replace it if I wanted to someday?

4. How's the neck on it? Anything with larger, clubbier necks would get the axe before something with a slim, easier to play neck.

5. Sentimental value - if I still had my first guitar, I wouldn't want to part with it - same for the guitar my wife bought for me, etc. etc.

I don't want to physically have too many. 20 or so is the max. I like buying guitars. I end up selling the ones I can live without and holding on to maybe 1 in 7.

Two dozen is really enough IMO to cover all the bases... well, not ALL the basses, but you can probably get a couple to go along with your 22 other instruments... ;)

Archived